Dynon ADS-B

Dan Kent

I just returned from North Little Rock with my S4. They installed the Dynon ADS-B receiver. I already had the Dynon transponder which has ADS-B out, so I have the Dynon full ADS-B solution.

Although the coverage chart doesn't extend up to Little Rock there must be a ground station there as I was receiving full ADS-B coverage. While flying down to Conroe, TX I lost coveage in a couple of places. My guess is that they have put a station in Little Rock due to their Class C airspace.

Here's a screenshot of flying around North Little Rock.

screenshot-20130201-021258-783.bmp

Does anyone have any idea why FD disabled the ability to rearrange the Skyview screens. I would really like to be using Dynon's GPS and ADS-B solutions, but I find it very inconvenient to be reaching to the far right of the panel to see/use the GPS, especially if my belts are tight.

I was told by Tom Peghinny (President of FDUSA) that is was done for certification purposes. The claim is that locked screens provide uniformity and thus allow for the aircraft operating instructions to be uniform. FD Germany seems to think locked screens are "required". Tom did say that a future rev update will allow for some level of customization. I did point out that this issue of locked screens for certification cannot be accurate. The reason I say this is that other LSA manufacturers feature unlocked Skyview systems that can be configured anyway the pilot wishes. Documentation in their AOI merely refers the pilot to the "Dynon users manual". I also pointed out that FD has issued a retrofit fleet LOA that allows for users to install Skyview as a retrofit (and those installations do not feature locked screens). This fleet LOA means some owners have unlocked screens now that were authorized by FD. I too agree that this is a large annoyance. Who needs a locked 10" EFIS? (no one I know). FD took a great system and handcuffed those of us that fly the factory supplied version for the wrong reasons!

I should add that the ADSB option works just fine. Tom just had it installed in a plane here in the USA. I have asked and am waiting patiently for a fleet LOA to be issued to allow retrofit installations of the ADSB box. This is a "works in progress". I'll update the forum as soon as I get an LOA for my plane.

Thanks Adam, in my opinion, having the GPS and its setting buttons all the way to the right is a dangerous distraction to the flying of the plane. As much as I would like to use Dynon's system, I won't until I can use it from a better angle. I am stuck trying to figure out if I should go with Garmin, or use XM and wait.

My CTLS has retrofitted SKYVIEW 700s that are unlocked so I can appreciate your pain. In fact, if I wasn't able to SWAP the 100% MAP screen from the right to left side with 1 button press I'd consider the MAP screen (with trafffic & wx) to be useless. For a fleeting moment I considered moving to a LSi last year only to learn from Tom P. that the SKYVIEW screens were NOT configurable (even though I have >250 hrs behind unlocked SKYVIEWS). That and the lack of readily available maintenance quickly ended my thought experiment.

screenshot-20121023-110148-220.bmp

screenshot-20121023-095623-943.bmp

I fully agree Bill. I find the positioning actually less than useful, possibly even dangerous because it moves your vision completely away from both outside and the primary flight instruments. I have flown in a 2008 with the 7" Dynon and there were some real advantages to being able to move the setup. Having the major information in front of you makes a lot of sense. I don't know what FD was thinking.

Just two weeks after purchasing N413F and flying from West coast to Oshkosh I met the owner of FD at the show. Tom P was also in the tent that day. I was told that they understood the issue and to expect changes forthwith. I think the issue is a simple change, but with all that is happening at FD it is not "top of mind". I am sure that with a larger group making a little noise it will catch the attention of this small and responsive company.

Farmer

77/with moderate trades

• 2 months later...

I went out flying Saturday and took some screenshots of ADS-B traffic and also ADS-B weather. A question had been asked about the range to get current weather. I checked Little Rock which was 397 nm away and got a current METAR. Previously I had tried an airport probably 800 miles away and was not able to get current weather.

post-649-0-42901600-1366632794_thumb.jpg

post-649-0-33148200-1366632775_thumb.jpg

From the Dynon Pilot's manual.

If available from the traffic device, an orange vector arrow that starts at the target and points in the aircraft’s direction of travel. This length of the vector represents where the aircraft is expected to be in one minute based on its current trajectory.

o The data received by a TIS device (such as the SV-XPNDR-26X) does not include the speed of aircraft since it is not sent by the ground-based TIS equipment. SkyView therefore assumes that all TIS targets are travelling at 150 knots.

o TIS additionally only provides the direction that individual traffic targets are moving in to the nearest 45° increment (0 °, 45°, 90°, etc.). This limitation may be noticed as a seemingly abrupt change in aircraft direction on the display as the traffic direction “snaps” from one 45° increment to the next when the TIS device updates an aircraft’s direction.

Traffic displayed on the Map Page can be configured to include just Traffic Advisories (TA), all targets, or no targets.

From what I heard/saw at Sun n Fun, Skyview version 6.x will allow a some additional screen swapping in FD a/c. I think one concern is making sure there is always a PFD and EMS showing and not suddenly hidden from view by some button pressing. FD is updating the 'manual' to show the new screen layouts available. Should just be a month or two. Stay tuned.

I have heard rumors to that effect also, but, I still don't know of any approval even for installation of the GDL-39 with a permanent power connection, or for the correct audio connections for our Dynon/ Garmin setups. Or, for that matter the Dynon ADS-B box, although since it is now part of the new plane's equipment it may be easier to get an LOA.

From what I heard/saw at Sun n Fun, Skyview version 6.x will allow a some additional screen swapping in FD a/c. I think one concern is making sure there is always a PFD and EMS showing and not suddenly hidden from view by some button pressing. FD is updating the 'manual' to show the new screen layouts available. Should just be a month or two. Stay tuned.

You may already know this, but one of the nice features of Skyview 5.0 is the reversion mode for multi screen systems. You basically set the screen layout in the menu for what you would like to see should one of the screens fail. I have mine set to 40% PFD, 20% EMS, and 40% map. Even when turning the screens off if you turn one off before the other, once the first is off the screen immediately reverts to the 40/20/40. Once the 2nd screen boots it reverts to the last setup you had for your 2 screens.

There's also a swap button in this version that switches between the screens.

Archived