DYNON SKYVIEW SERVICE BULLETIN

Adam

Well, they probably have to start a warranty sometime. You know they've already started to repair the items, else they'd have no basis upon which to base the bulleting.

And a cut off like that keeps me from putting off the upgrade for a couple of years and then getting a new warranty.

I went to the airport to check mine yesterday, only to find I was running 5.0 firmware (uggh). So went back home, downloaded latest files on a memory stick and then upgraded firmware to 5.1 this moring... that went very smoothly. Firmware 5.0 does not have the "hardware group" line item so you do need to be at 5.1. The SB said that, I just thought I was already on the latest version. If you have not upgraded firmware in the last 10 days be sure to download latest rev before you go check!

Attached is a pic of my screen just to show how it looks... I'm Hardware Group 1 so "not affected". My build date for my plane is November of 2011. As to the new warranty, the most logical would be 3 years from the date they send you back your displays! (seems just a little arbitrary to start it for all before any are repaired).

post-124-0-15910700-1360770972_thumb.jpg

Same thing here. I had 5.1, but not the latest revision. I suspect when that is installed it will show the hardware group. As far as the warranty, it is nice of them to extend it, but it isn't really a three year warranty is it since no one will actually get three years out of it.

Yes, they did not have to do anything, and I do appreciate the extension (don't know if it applies to me yet). I am just saying it could have been handled better - from a consumer standpoint.(The reasoning behind the date escapes me.) They are doing more than would be expected and I hope I can get FD to change the "fixed screen" issue so I can go with Dynon's ADS-B solution.

Yes, they did not have to do anything, and I do appreciate the extension (don't know if it applies to me yet). I am just saying it could have been handled better - from a consumer standpoint.(The reasoning behind the date escapes me.) They are doing more than would be expected and I hope I can get FD to change the "fixed screen" issue so I can go with Dynon's ADS-B solution.

I had a warranty issue, one of my ADAHRS units was measuring altitude about 140' to high (I didn't know this until I upgraded to version 4.0 of the firmware, as it was this version that compares redundant components). You can sync your redundant ADAHRS units to correct for this, but about every month or so I would get the error message again and have to "recalibrate" them.

I emailed Dynon and they sent me a replacement ADAHRS unit without ever asking about warrant time period. This was the $1200 unit (I did have to provide a credit card number in case I "forgot" to ship the bad one back). I got the replacement installed at my annual and it was within 10' of the backup unit.

Anyway my experiece is that Dynon may have set a hard date on the warranty, but they never asked me whether it was in or out of warranty and just wanted to fix my problem. Really great customer service.

I hope I did not give the wrong impression. I love my Dynon displays too, and have nothing but good to say about the company. (FDs locking of the Skyview displays is another issue.) It just struck me odd how they set the date on the warranty.

I so wish I could rearrange my displays so the GPS could be in front of me and that issue will probably keep me from going Dynon's direction with ADS-B, even if I have to pay more for Garmin's databases. I refer to the GPS constantly to keep current on my position and with Dynon's GPS display positioned all the way to the right of the EMS display that is difficult to do.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not seen any other than the Dynon release. From the Dynon site:

"Although complying with this bulletin is very highly recommended, it is not mandatory. Non-compliance with this bulletin need not necessarily ground your aircraft."

I'm not sure that FD would feel a need to re-emphasize what Dynon is already saying, since it is not a mandatory or air worthiness issue.

In any event, we do need to watch all our appliances such as radios, ELT, auto pilots, etc. The condition inspection is one time when that should be reviewed.

It does seem odd that FD has been silent on the Dynon Bulletin. I did send the data to Tom Peghiny to make sure they saw this. While this may not be "mandatory" in some folks eyes, the fact that Dynon will give you a free replacement and a 3 year warranty to me says its worth checking. My plane was not affected by this so I'm good to go. Until FD releases an SB I'm not noting anything in my log book but it gives me comfort to know I'm clean. Part of the value we get here in the forum is many eyes looking and scanning for these type of service bulletins. In another thread there has been 2 SB's issued by Rotax on 912's and so far FD hasn't said anything about those either. Perhaps FD "knows" that none of their planes are impacted by either SB and therefore did not issue an SB. Could also just be they are slow and the SB's will be forthcoming.

Archived