Whistling at cruise

George in San Diego

25 hours into ownership (175TT) a strange whistling sound started while cruising at 3,500' in bumpy conditions. Took off my Zulu headset to hear if it was real or created and it is something actually going on aerodynamically up front. The squealing sound starts around 109kts TAS and gets loud quickly with speed or wind gusts. Everything looks fine on the outside. Before removing the cowl I thought id ask if anyone else has experienced this. Doors and windows seem OK. 2008 CTLS

Tape appears to be flat, smooth and sticking all the way from top to bottom. When you say "all the way back" do you mean between the flap brackets and fuselage? My tapes stop at the first bolt on the flap. As I said though, this just started. The tape has been the same now for seven weeks or so and about 20 hours.

Long shot, but in my Sky Arrow I have a lever that selects "CABIN--DEFROST--MIX".

In certain intermediate positions it can definitely whistle a bit.

May be completely different in a CT, but it's easy to futz with vents and selectors and stuff to see if it makes a difference.

I would say the tape is holding fine. It is new and was installed at North Las Vegas FD center. Charlie Tango: sound direction hard to say but seems

To be front and center. Fast Eddy: our heat control is mainly for looks and to offer hope. LOL it reminds me of my '66 C-150/150 in that it keeps you from being as cold as it could be without heat but when OAT is less than 40F one better be bundled up! When I realize my fuel cost is less than half what I was paying and I get same or better performance as I did with the big-engined 150, I can't complain! Will have to find source of that whistle as its loud...or will have to fly slower.

Hi 77GP,

(How about a name to go with the N number :))

Your heat should work well and if not then the cabin needs to be sealed better and if it is that cool and since you said all the tape was there then the next whistle and major air leak is the doors.

I had a horrendous whistle that took some finding. Turned out that the dealer had replaced some of the Bolus tape on the wing roots with some apparently similar tape from a local DIY shop! That tape de-laminated, so although it appeared to be well stuck down it made an amazing noise at certain airspeeds, but only after about 20 minutes in flight.

My suggestion would be to remove all the tape to assist in diagnosis, then replace with Bolus tape only.

The glider guys almost all use gap sealing tape and the high performance machines can easily do 120 kias. The guys at my local club who have hot machines often use pretty ordinary tape with adequate results. I'm not saying don't use the best.

Here is a web site showing glider tape and at the bottom is a URL that shows one way of how the gliders use it. I'm not saying do your FD this way, I'm only providing some background information that you can use in expanding one's knowledge on the topic.

http://www.wingsandwheels.com/page28.htm

Roger, my name is George Butterfield. Or I could use my middle name and call myself George Lee. Then we'd have two Lee s. LOL

OK, the orig owner told me to tape over the wing bolt openings in Winter time. Haven't done that and there is a steady air flow up there which of course dilutes the heater. But now I'm wondering if air should be coming through those openings or not. Note: this air flow was there long before the whistling started. The flight school airplane I took transition training gets taped over on inside during cold months, not outside. They prefer a tube of silicone sealant in lieu of tape around the wings on outside as something that will hold for longer term.

I see no reason to use silicone sealant. My plane is coming up on 6 years old. I had one instance of "whistling" and I replaced the tape. Otherwise, if not for periodically pulling the wings for maintenance, I have no tape problems. It will last a long time. Stick with the tape and leave it on year around.

Also, tape, plug or otherwise seal the inside holes at head level to stop drafts in the winter. Will greatly improve heater efficiency. Then, in the summer, open it up again for some "air conditioning".

I also had the whistle. There was a small in the under-wing tape. Hard to find unless you run a fingertip.

Beware fingernails, they can cause the tear. I've used the Bowlus tape since. I put a second layer

over the wing leading edge, and about 6" further back, to the first door hinge on bottom, and

same distance on top.

It was a strange sound. Thought I'd grown a cessna stall warning horn somewhere.

Bill

Hi George,

Nice to meet you. I have seen and fixed a number of CT's that whistled. It has to be the tape around the wing root (maybe a small split). It can also be the door.

yes you should put some clear tape over all the holes above your head area. Even the fuel sight tube and the wing spar handle in front and on the back side of the tunnel holes in front of your head. If you'll call me it will be easier to explain and this will make the whistle go away and heat the cabin much better. If you really want a warm cabin you must seal the doors jams.

Archived