New ASB from Rotax

Doug G.

This new Rotax Alert Service Bulletin is only for very new 912ULS engines. It does not include the fuel injected engine or older engines. You would have to have a CTLS that was delivered within the last 9-11 months or so. This serial number 6779708 and after is included, anything before this is not. So if you took delivery of an LS within the last year then you may need to check your serial number and do the engine check which is quite easy. If you had a bad cylinder any A&P can not do the work as they won't have the tools or the training as this will require a replacement and rebuild of the affected cylinder (2 and or 3).

Here is the full bulletin.

Technically speaking once you look at it and you find it doesn't apply you could do nothing.

The right way to handle it is to note it in the log and say it doesn't apply due to your engine's serial number. Then you, any mechanic and any buyer will know for sure and you won't have to pay a mechanic for his time to look up all the bulletins. I have a page in the back of my logbook with all the SB's listed and next to them if they apply or don't If they did apply not only was it logged in the regular log pages and what was done to comply with the SB I wrote along side in the back it was complied with and the date. Then I never have to search the logbook. Just open the last page and they are all together in a chronological list and their disposition. Keeping the list only takes 1 minute each time a bulletin comes out.

Technically speaking once you look at it and you find it doesn't apply you could do nothing.

The right way to handle it is to note it in the log and say it doesn't apply due to your engine's serial number. Then you, any mechanic and any buyer will know for sure and you won't have to pay a mechanic for his time to look up all the bulletins.

Are you sure that a new mechanic won't choose to look up every bulletin and verify it on his own?

It's obvious your suggestion makes a nice record for the owner and current mechanic and anyone casually interested, but I know mechanics who won't take anything except their own research for granted when they sign their name.

I'm not arguing that that it isn't a useful or even good tool, what I'm asking is if you take this log book to a new mechanic is there any reason to assume he won't insist on starting over with his own research? My question is based on my knowledge of A&P mechanic practices that I've seen; I don't pretend to know what the industry standard is but I will try to remember to check next time I see an A&P.

Yes, Rainbow suggests that you charge extra for research each time you take on a new client as an LSRM. Don't trust other's entries, they don't always do it correctly. However, having made the entries shows you have paid attention to the work needed. A complete logbook is the sign of a good mechanic and therefore a good airplane.

Archived