Need your opinion.

Mechanic states engine mount bolt hole is, 1mm out of spec. He says there is 0 tolerance, according to FD. Engine mount must be replaced at a price of $4,700.00 for part plus labor. Does this sound right, and would insurance, customarily, cover this expense ? This was discovered during annual.

As a practical matter, there is no such thing as 0 tolerance. And holes always need to be a bit larger than the bolts that fit into them. I would get a second opinion, preferably from some mechanic with FD experience. Insurance doesn't normally cover warranty/ maintenance items

As a practical matter, there is no such thing as 0 tolerance. And holes always need to be a bit larger than the bolts that fit into them. I would get a second opinion, preferably from some mechanic with FD experience. Insurance doesn't normally cover warranty/ maintenance items

Thanks for your opinion.

Without pictures it is hard to say, but I would venture to guess that the tube where the shock mounts are is bent out of round. This happens when you land on the nose wheel. Flight Design does consider this to be something that in not repairable. If that tube is bent then the mount is also bent and putting stress on the mounting points.in the fuselage. Sometimes you also crack the fuselage when this bends.

Without pictures it is hard to say, but I would venture to guess that the tube where the shock mounts are is bent out of round. This happens when you land on the nose wheel. Flight Design does consider this to be something that in not repairable. If that tube is bent then the mount is also bent and putting stress on the mounting points.in the fuselage. Sometimes you also crack the fuselage when this bends.

There is no damage to the fuselage at this time, however, have not been told there are bent tubes, but I will inquire.

Thank you for your response and everyone else, your input is very helpful.

I should have ask which engine mount. The bolts to the firewall itself or the 4 ring mount bolts? Is this an LS or SW? If this mechanic thinks 1mm is out wait until he does enough hose changes and sees more older aircraft.

I don't know how someone at a typical shop can measure 1mm out for this setup.

Archived