My Dynon MAP pressure swings all over.

Roger Lee

Do you have a Dynon D120 EMS and the MAP pressure swings all over and you wish it was more steady?

The answer is yes and it's an easy fix. First buy, beg, borrow or steal a Bing main jet of about 150-160. They are about 3/4" long. Now on top of the carb cross over balance tube you will see the small line coming off over on the left side aiming back towards the firewall. It may be a rubber vacuum line or a white plastic line. Pull that off and insert the Bing main jet in the line. I use a wire tire on the outside of the tubing to hold it in place, but it is so snug I doubt it would move. Just reattach MAP vacuum line back to the crossover tube. The small pin hole in the main jet will dampen the impulses through the line and make that MAP pressure rock solid.

• 1 month later...

Do you have a Dynon D120 EMS and the MAP pressure swings all over and you wish it was more steady?

The answer is yes and it's an easy fix. First buy, beg, borrow or steal a Bing main jet of about 150-160. They are about 3/4" long. Now on top of the carb cross over balance tube you will see the small line coming off over on the left side aiming back towards the firewall. It may be a rubber vacuum line or a white plastic line. Pull that off and insert the Bing main jet in the line. I use a wire tire on the outside of the tubing to hold it in place, but it is so snug I doubt it would move. Just reattach MAP vacuum line back to the crossover tube. The small pin hole in the main jet will dampen the impulses through the line and make that MAP pressure rock solid.

Hi David,

Just a note. When you reply don't use the button at the bottom of each post. Use the reply button at the top of the page or the bottom of the page. That way it won't quote everything and make these post really long.

If you have a motorcycle shop around you can pick up a carb jet there. That's your best bet. If you don't then get a piece of brass or aluminum round stock / rod. Plastic would work, but it would need to be something like Delrin to be able to take the heat. If not the hole needs to be as small as possible. Drill the smallest hole you possible can down through the center. Put this in the hose line right where the tubing comes off the top left side of the carb cross over tube. Put a tie wrap around the outside of the tubing to keep the new part from moving. I have known some people to use a cigarette filter in line.

• 5 months later...

Oil pressure is an electronic signal. How high are we talking about?

If it keeps going up fairly high or moves all over then you need to tighten the grounds. If it goes up and down with the throttle tighten the grounds. If it drops really low or tightening the grounds don't work buy a new oil pressure sender.

It's the grounds. tighten them all. 5 of them, especially the ones behind the passenger side instrument panel on the back of the firewall. There are 4 on the firewall inside the cowl area just above the battery and one going down on the engine mount frame. You will have to loosen the front nut to tighten the rear nut on the 06's with the bolt through the firewall type ground. On later models with the buss bar type just tighten the bolt and then the individual screws that hold the buss bar down. If you don't know what I'm talking about you will once you look in the panel. Consider each ground loose until you put a wrench on it. They may be hand tight, but wrench loose.

Update on the oil pressure. It's all over the place. Sometimes, when the RPM's are increased, the oil pressure goes up, but sometimes it goes down. Sometimes, when the RPM's are decreased, the oil pressure goes up, but sometimes it goes down. Sometimes, it's normal. Does that still sound like a "ground" problem? Next time I'm out at the airport, I'll tighten the grounds.

Did the grounds all get tightened? This should have been the first check.

Most likely not a ground any more, but the sender. There still is a possibility for the ground, but my money now lies with the sender since it is doing more odd fluctuations that aren't steady or predictable.

Here are the comments from the co-owner of N293CT about the occasionally high oil pressure. Any other thoughts?

I checked the wiring. All engine compartment grounds were solid, Dynon wiring is fine, connection to the oil pressure transducer was oily and a little loose - tight now.

If weather works, I'll fly tomorrow and test it.

A bad sender means you need to replace the sending unit itself. Just a bad reading. I would highly doubt you have a real oil pressure problem. Rotax 912's are highly dependable. Oil pressure senders on the other hand do fail frequently. Bad readings are almost always bad grounds or bad pressure senders (98% of the time). Just ask

Fast Eddie?

The only way to tell for sure about any reading of course is to put a mechanical gauge in line with the electric one and see if they match.

The sender had some oil on it and was loose. We cleaned and tightened it. In a few more hours, we'll get the 1,000-hour service done, and I think we'll re-secure the gearbox to the engine. We have a sneaking suspicion that that is where our phantom oil leak is coming from.

If it is the normal sender and it was loose then you were getting a poor ground. The sender gets it's ground from the engine. This is also the reason they don't want just any Ol' thread locker on the threads because it may interfere with the ground.

Archived