Where is the "Sport" in LSA?

Ed Cesnalis

I think it is intended to relay the fact that it is for non commercial purposes or recreation. If you look at the definition of sport you will see that it is closely related to recreation. The fact that you are not allowed to use your sport pilot certificate for any commercial purposes, and the limited commercial use of a light sport aircraft is how I make the tie in.

The sport pilot rule is the result of creating a category that fat ultralights fit into so that they could and would be regulated. The weight got negotiated up to 600kg in the rule making process and the results are that ultralights are a dying class because most of them were fat and are now LSA or remain unregulated.

Recreational pilot certificates were a big failure and the sport pilot rule's genesis was part 103 trainers. Before the rule many looked like:

picPAPquicksilverMK2.jpg

and after the rule they look more like:

3504572007_8d93ef5a95.jpg

sport

/spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Show Spelled [spawrt, spohrt] Show IPA

noun

an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

a particular form of this, especially in the out of doors.

diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.

jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.

mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.

For what most of us are doing I think #3 works.

I think it sounds funny too. Seems like you should sweat for it to be a sport. Something where you can sit and have a casual conversation I consider more sportsman, like fly fishing. Sportsman Pilot sounds right. Except you can't drink beer while doing it. I think that's what rules it out.

They were after the ones flying beyond the limits set in CFR part 103. Before sport pilot there were several 2 seat ultralight aircraft flying around that were not following the rules. Sport pilot took away the ability to have a 2 seat aircraft that didn't have a "N" number. Now if it has 2 seats you need a pilot certificate of some kind to be pilot in command.

Archived