Sad News re: Page Fly-in

CT4ME

I missed this news when it happened, and again when Russ Roberts brought it to Roger's attention in March...

CT Fliers who attended last years Page Fly-in are still talking about the morning flights to Escalante Utah. Sadly, the person who helped us put together the whole Escalante excursion, Paul Bowmar, died mid-January in an flying accident. You'll remember Paul as the enthusiastic guy with the Parrot, who met us at the airport. It didn't take more than a minute of conversation with Paul to know he loved flying and his little town.

Paul and a friend apparently flew into power lines just 8 miles East of town, in that area where the rocks were noticeably white. We all likely flew over the spot during our flights up the Escalante river. Four years ago, another plane crashed into the same power lines at the same spot.

Just a reminder that we participate in a hobby that can be unforgiving... be safe out there.

We'll likely try to do the Escalante trip again during the 7th Annual Page Fly-in.... but it won't be the same.

RIP Paul.

Tim

http://www.spiritof13.com/2013/01/20/paul-bowmar-escalante-ut/

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/55666294-78/bowmar-allen-crash-escalante.html.csp

I sent an email, on behalf of the group, with our condolences... here are Linda's replies...

------

Thank you, Tim for your kind email. Yes, it was a shock to us all needless to say. Paul and I really enjoyed your visit and I would love to see you all again. When you come back in October, please let me know in advance and I will arrange a similar program as before for all of you. You have our email now, so please feel free to keep in touch.

Respectfully yours,

Linda (and Paul)

---------

Tim,

Forgot to tell you yesterday, but I am having a memorial hangar party for Paul on Saturday, June 15th, 12 - 4pm. It is a BBQ and pot-luck. BYOB (for after the party) if you wish. We are going to scatter Paul's ashes @ the airport. Also, we hope to have the dedication of the new Paul Bowmar Memorial Campground that day. But, if nothing else, we can have the ground-breaking for that. Paul wanted a fly-in campground and fuel @ the airport. Looks like both of those things will happen, I just don't know how fast. The wheels of politics moves slowly!

Anyway, you and any of your flying friends who would like to come to the party in June are certainly invited. Paul enjoyed meeting you all and I'm sure he would be happy if a bunch of you came to his last hurrah! We hope to have a fly-over, missing-man formation as well.

Back to work. Thanks, Linda

• 2 months later...

The trip went great. There were 80 or more folks at the memorial, with many pilots, in spite of thunderstormy and gusty conditions. 'Saw fellow CT'ers Russ Roberts and Carole, too.

Many folks, including the RAF and Utah Backcountry Pilots, are working hard to fulfill Paul's dream of making Escalante (1L7) Airport a fly-in destination. To that end, they are almost done with the memorial campground. When completed, it'll have a covered area with power and running water, a nice fire ring, picnic tables, and plenty of tent sites. And an incredible view. Work is also underway to get fuel at the airport. Last on the list: a courtesy car!

I can see this area becoming a favorite of mine. Two hours from Phoenix. If you're not into camping, the town has a bunch of cute B&Bs, hotels, and great restaurants. Why there's even $45/night rooms in individual modern log cabins, right in the center of town.

Escalante will definitely be back as one of our Page Fly-in destinations, too!

Tim

header_cabins.jpg

Archived