Wake Turbulance

Tip

Yes, I am typically number 4 or 5 in line for group flights at Page and have had a few cases where we were rocked by 50 degrees or so. It doesn't take a 737 to give you a surprise, albeit survivable. (Not sure if wake from a 737 would be so benign)!

Bob. CTLS N602MR

Hi Tip,

In Tucson all our flights are 2-5 CT's. We take off two at a time. More or less side by side with the e second CT slightly staggered back. we split the runway and neither aircraft is allowed to cross the center line. Once we lift off a few feet we move over on each runway line on the outside edge of the runway. If any one at any time has a take off issue either aircraft is clear to land without interferance from the other. This way you never encounter the other guy's turbulence. Taking off back behind someone will open this situation up for turbulence more often. Which ever way the lead is turning after take off he is lined up on that side. If there are winds the lead CT always lines up on the down wind side of the runway so any wing turbulence is blown away from the second staggered CT. We fly this way every week and have been for years without any turbulence issues. The turbulence can be a little un-nerving, but is usually self limited.

Tip was referring to me. When leaving Salem the other day we left as a pair (we were rushed due to incoming traffic and lack of space at the end of the runway to pull off) and I knew my separation was not adequate. Unfortunately taking off staggered as Roger suggested was not possible either due to the narrow runway so I just tried to stay up wind, kept my airspeed up a tad more and prepared for the bump. It was a non-event to me (my wife, not so much) and after a little bubble a deliberate climb to move away from the runway centerline, we were far enough to the side to stay clear. It helps that I have a good deal of practice from chasing my own wake in steep turns on calm days. Even this can upset you and toss you out of a fairly steep turn. I used to have a lot of fun with this and the experience isnt a bad thing.

If leaving as a pair, the lead aircraft can extend the takeoff run by accelerating slowly or allowing the aircraft to stay on the ground (not a favorite choice once flying speed has been achieved) so that the lead aircraft take-off point is ahead of where the trailing aircraft will rotate. You can use runway markers of various kinds to coordinate who will rotate where. Then trail stays above and upwind of the leads departure path.

Wing vortices occur where there is lift being generated.

Archived