MOGAS in Louisiana

Dan Kent

I went to the 2 day Rotax class in August 2011. My plane was on order and I wanted to learn more about the engine. I say more because I read everything I could about it - particularly Roger's posts on this forum. One of the folks in my class worked at a small airport in Louisiana, so last week I decided to fly over and check it out.

2L0 is a very nice airport. It is just east of Alexandria, LA. They apparently have a very active training program because their Tecnam high wing just got it's 2nd engine installed due to TBO (912ULS).

But the big surprise is that they have ethanol free 92 octane mogas for $4.55/gallon. This is not listed in the AF&D, only AVGAS.

The only issue in flying there is there are 2 restricted areas to the west and a couple big MOA's, so I flew south of the restricted area and then turned north over a small lake. Also 2L0 is just a short distance out of Alexandria's class D airspace. There is a water runway in the lake just south of the runway so on final for 36 you're over the lake.

It was a beautiful day and a great trip.

Hi Dan,

Looks like you have a Sting S4. I purchased one last October from Sport Air in N. Little Rock, AR. (KORK).

I have spoken to AOPA and the EAA to try to encourage FBO's to install mogas tanks at airports around the country. It's starting to catch on.

I have spoken to the Manager of KMPO, where my plane is based, and asked that he bring it up to the airport BOD's to have a tank installed there. It will be brought up at the next meeting and hopefully, with Grant money, will become a reality.

When I plan a trip, I call ahead to see if mogas is available at the airports I plan to stop at. If it's not, I suggest that they may want to inatall a tank due to the numerous aircraft with Rotax engines and engines that have been TSO'd for this type of fuel.

As the search goes on for an alternative fuel to replace 100LL, it's amazing that the FAA and others can't see the benefits of the fuel that's readily available, namely, 91-93 octane mogas. Just don't add the Ethanol. Seems simple enough.

For those owners out there that require a higher octane, an octane booster can be added. That would still be much cheeper than the price of 100LL and satisfy the EPA on their pursuit to remove all lead from Avfuel.

When stopping at an airport that you may visit, ask about the possibility to install a tank for 91 to 93 octane mogas and the benefits the FBO would see by bringing in more fuel customers. It may also bring in more maintenance customers if that airport had a maintenance facility.

Also, contact your representatives and ask that they help get the Ethanol out of the premium grade of fuel at our gas stations.

We can make a difference.

Rich

Hey Rich,

Yes I have an S4 and love it. I joined my local EAA chapter and met a couple of other members that either have a Rotax or Jabiru engine and they are interested in ethanol free mogas. I have also asked one of the FBO's on my airport about selling mogas (i've asked him twice over the past year). I'll keep pursuing this.

So far the only xcountry that I have done requiring Avgas was when we took my plane to Sebring in January 2012 to put it on display as it was only the 2nd S4 in the US at the time (the other one was at Sebring also).

Dan,

I was there at Sebring in 2012. I'm sure we met briefly at the display. Did you arrive with Johnny? I believe he flew down with his wife in her S3 and thought you flew along in your S-4. We'll, I flew his wife's S3 with Johnny and sat in Jessy King's S4 for about two hours, literally on and off, trying to make my decission. I believe your plane had the red swirled decals. I probably was introduced as Anthony, as Rich is my middle name and the one I usually go by.

Are you planning on joining the Group for the 7th Page fly-in?

Rich

Hey Rich,

I was the guy with a plane and no license (I flew in with my CFI). We go there Thursday mid morning as we were delayed by weather. Yes mine has the red and gray pattern and Dynon avionics.

I got my sport pilot's license in March of 2012.

Page is a little ambitious for me, but in a year or two possibly. I really would like to make trip sometime.

Archived