Wheel alignment

Roger Lee

Posted form another forum for one of our members.

Here is the FD wheel alignment procedure. Other aircraft wheel alignment procedures will work.

Where can we find this published procedure ? as my tyre's are wearing uneven and a lot of UK CT's i have seen are as well

Thanks Mike

quote_icon.png

Originally Posted by Oz airangel viewpost-right.png There is a Flight Design published procedure for wheel alignment. Matcos may be good but it is not necessary to fix alignment.

CTSW Wheel alignment.pdf

Thanks for that Roger seems a bit of a drastic way of adjusting tracking and am thinking it could weaken the main wheel axle mount , but i will check it and see if it is out by much and go from there

Mike

Posted form another forum for one of our members.

Here is the FD wheel alignment procedure. Other aircraft wheel alignment procedures will work.

Where can we find this published procedure ? as my tyre's are wearing uneven and a lot of UK CT's i have seen are as well

Thanks Mike

quote_icon.png

Originally Posted by Oz airangel viewpost-right.png There is a Flight Design published procedure for wheel alignment. Matcos may be good but it is not necessary to fix alignment.

Mike, the FD wheel alignment adjustment procedure has one problem. If one has too much toe-in and adjusts the axle bracket to reduced this, this will increase or degrade the camber. The reverse is true then also. If one adjusts to reduce camber, the toe-in will be increased (degraded). This is due to the angle of the "hockey stick" axle bracket. When this is turned on the landing gear strut, it rotates the wheel in an arc. I had obvious excessive toe-in and camber on my CTSW with associated tire wear. When the chords started showing and it was time to install new tires, I bit the bullet and bought the Matco wheels, axles and brakes from Roger Lee. My wheels are now properly aligned and the tires are wearing even. This is the reason FD is now installing the Matco's on production aircraft and you find "flanged" axles on Cessna, Piper, etc. To achieve proper adjustment of wheels that reside on the end of an angled landing gear which is also angled in the fore or aft direction, one must have an axle which allows adjustment in the "toe-in" direction (plan view) and and in the "camber" direction (front or rear view).

• 2 years later...

We recently completed installation of Matco brakes on our 2006 CTSW. In the various threads, there have been several comments about how this system allows adjustment for wheel alignment. We inserted washers between the bottom of the axel flanges for a total add of approximately 1/16" to correct for camber/outside tire wear. To really get the axel parallel to the ground would have take 1/8'' or more. However, with this amount of washers, it felt like it would overstress the bolts, and perhaps bend them, if the meeting surfaces were tightened. It's kind of hard to create an 1/8" offset with bolts in precision perpendiculer holes.

Wth all of the comments about the abilty to correct for alignment with the Matco brakes, its seems like the amount of adjustment is very limited before stressing or bending the bolts due to unparallel surfaces.

Roger Kuhn

Hi Roger,

You shouldn't need more than 2 of the standard washers supplied. It may not have been perfectly straight up, but should have been close enough to give you good tire wear especially compared to the original camber. You are right though not to try and put 4 washers in place.

When changing over to the Matco brakes I noticed a very slight wiggle where the main wheel axel bracket bolts through the main gear leg. The bracket became firm after re-torqueing the bolt going through the main. I would suspect that this hole or bracket is slightly elongated. Will re-torqueing this bolt do the trick or is it advisable to re-drill the hole and replace the bolt with the next size up? Maybe I should check with FD.

Roger Kuhn

Archived