Degree differential between CHT and OIL

mocfly

Chris,

There are people with more experience than I on this matter but what I've been told by my dealer and mechanic at home is to keep them as close as possible to avoid stress. Sometimes I'm spot on for a while, while others I'm off between 5 to 10*. In my situation, it may be the direction the air is entering the radiator compared to the air scoop on the side cowel for the oil cooler during various times of flight. It may be that I had the cabin heat parcially on because the air passes through the radiator core into the cabin and that would reduce the temps within the engine compartment. I'm not sure. I have a Sting S4

In the winter months it was trickier. I added foil tape over the radiator and oil cooler air inlets to keep both warm enough and get them close, then removing some to tweek.

If the oil temp is within operating range, may be adding a strip of foil tape to the radiator will do the trick.

I know we have different aircraft with different cowling. I'm flying the 100HP Rotax. May be 20>30* is close enough. I'd have to ask again when I get to the airport, or may be those with more knowledge in the group can better advise.

Rich

Rich,

I'm envious of the S4's oil cooling which, I'm guessing, is due to the new cowl design (from the S3). My S3 difference in temps is in the same range as Chris, about 25 degrees +- 5, in warm weather. It's much closer in winter when OAT is below 40.

Eddie,

Overall, how do you like your Sky Aarow? How long have you had it? How many hours have you flown with it?

Would you buy another one?

Can you make a fair comparison, in general terms, between the Sky Arrow and the CT series?

Bill

There are several factors that will make the CHT and oil temp differences between planes different. Usually it will be 10F -30F. This depends on OAT, cowl cooling, radiator positions, coolant type, ect.... I would say 15-20 is pretty normal and absolutely nothing to worry about.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived