FAA Oops

Roger Lee

Do you remember back a couple of years ago when the FAA came out with a legal interpretation that said SLSA didn't have to do some procedures? That the Mfg's couldn't make policy above what is written in the FARs. Well looks like Rotax took them to task and pointed out where FAA legal forgot to look in there own manual for cross references that consider LSA a little differently. Oops.

I have heard through the grapevine that that ruling may be overturned in the next few months. So people that have said you can't make me do that, hold on to your hats. Things like hose change, parachute repacks, ect...

If it's in the manual and they want it done on a time schedule it may be mandatory soon, again. :)

I may get one of the first copies out and when it is issued I'll post it then. It will be a few months. I'll try and call my source at the FAA and see what's cooking.

Don't ask me for any specifics because I don't have any, but it will be interesting. Just thought this forum could be first to know.

Strictly a wait and see.

Depending on the specifics, it may be enough to make me go that route Jim. Especially if the recurrent training is a part of it.

Depending on what occurs the rest of us might need to start making noise with the FAA and our legislators.

(I have no probem with the 5 yr. hose change, but can they also then make us use inferior parts as has been experienced with some of the approved hose sets. And can they enforce TBO?)

Roger, I know you cannot answer any of these questions. We'll see what happens.

Is there any drawback, with the exception of possibly a lower resale value, to go from SLSA to ELSA?

How difficult would it be?

Percentage wise, how much could it lower the resale value?

Rich

I just switched from Avemco to Falcon because Falcon is cheaper plus they don't care if I go ELSA. Rate will be the same.

With renewal with Avemco being May 5, I called to ask about rumors they won't do SLSA any longer. They said renewing customers were OK, just no new ones. Then I asked what if I went ELSA and they said they would drop me. I asked about the builders insurance I have with my RV-12 project and they said that would also be OK since they insure ELSA that were built as ELSA. I asked what's the difference, they will insure my -12 ELSA but not my CT as an ELSA. They had no coherent reason except that was the decision the board made and that it was complicated.

My $40K -12 builders policy was over $$00 with Avemco, now it is $250 with Falcon. Of course, Avemco would reduce my premium 5% if I took some X-wind instruction in it. That would be a neat trick since it's only about 40% complete!

... My $40K -12 builders policy was over $$00 with Avemco, now it is $250 with Falcon. Of course, Avemco would reduce my premium 5% if I took some X-wind instruction in it. That would be a neat trick since it's only about 40% complete!

You just do the same thing that you do every night (but with an instructor) you sit in the plane, such as it is, in the hangar, and make airplane noises. <_< (in this case move your feet a lot.)

You just do the same thing that you do every night (but with an instructor) you sit in the plane, such as it is, in the hangar, and make airplane noises. <_< (in this case move your feet a lot.)

CT - hadn't thought of that!! :) Should work with a couple of pillows for seat cushions and a broomstick for controls. Also, goofed on the post. My Avemco -12 policy was $400/yr.

Archived