Full flap T-N-Gs

opticsguy

The winds were right and I was able to get 3 landings in on the 6000 ft runway at HQZ. I've done the full-flap go-around, but never tried a takeoff from full stop with 30 degree flaps. I assume if you can resist the urge to pull the stick back, it would work.

The sound is kind of rough when I leave the pattern. It was taken with a $35 car camera I got off the internet.

I recommend practicing this if you want to land on the UL strip at Oshkosh. You will have to fly the pattern behind a powered parachute at 40 kt.

61.109 Aeronautical experience.

(a) For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (k) of this section, a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in § 61.107(B)(1) of this part, and the training must include at least—

(1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a single-engine airplane;

(2) Except as provided in § 61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes—

(i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and

(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

Thanks.

I did not recall that language at all. It's either new or I just forgot it.

But, importantly, that refers to the flight experience requirements for one particular rating, not a general logging requirement/definition.

Similar to "cross-country". To qualify as a cross country for certain ratings the flight has to be a certain length. But to log a given flight as cross country has no minimum length and by convention most pilots log as cross country any flight that lands at a different airport than the airport of departure.

So, I hold that the video showed three landings and I would log three landings. But if being done towards a Private certificate, none would count towards the 10 required in 61.109. For recency of experience, they would not count if done in a tailwheel or at night.

And so on...

Hi Tom,

That's for student requirements (61.109) . There should be a section for recurrent training and I do believe for nights it does say to a full stop. It is in the section where it says you need so many landings (3) at night and day within 90 days.

Archived