Matco Brake Noise

I have a Pipersport LSA with Matco PH-1A brakes. The right brake makes a clanking noise when I taxi. I do not have nose wheel steering so the right side gets more use/wear than the left side. I think it is because the pads have worn down and there is some slop in there now. The pads have not worn away beyond the indicater groove on the pad yet though. Can this be adjusted and is there any harm being done besides the noise?

Hi Steve,

Believe it or not the noise is normal, so long as the brake has been inspected and no screws or any thing else is loose. I depends on the type of leg gear and fairings you have that decides if you hear it or not. The noise is just the caliper in its fitting that has a very slight free play. The calipers can not be made so precision that they bind in their mount so a small amount of movement is necessary. Remember these are floating calipers and a stationary disc. If you apply the brakes just barely my bet is the noise stops. That's because you applied a slight pressure to remove the free play. It isn't hurting a thing. I know you don't want to hear this, but just tune it out.

Archived