6.00 Main Tire Question

FlyingMonkey

I see some people adding the larger 6.00 "Tundra" tires with no wheel pants, due to the insane $550 (IIRC) per side cost of the pants. I also see some saying to leave the nose wheel alone so that you don't have to change out the nose gear, and this just makes the airplane sit a little nose low.

The question(s): Is there any problem in ground handling with this configuration, or takeoff/landing quirks since your "level" stance is now at a lower AoA, not to mention no longer actually "level"? How about issues with keeping EFIS systems reading or calibrating to correct level? Finally, does not doing the nose tire negate the advantages of the taller tires anyway, making this kind of a goat rodeo?

Thanks!

Andy

It's certainly possible there are no real downsides to this, I'm just trying to think it through and make sure I understand all the ramifications. If there are no issues, that is super cool...but I'll never find out unless I ask those who know. ;)

So you think there are no problems at all with doing this?

If you change mains from smaller to larger tires FD wants the larger front tire added too. That means changing the nose strut out. About $1900.

If you didn't do it the smaller front wheel really would not be any issue. If you don't use the main wheels pants then all debris can be thrown up at the wings and tail.

As a reminder, every time you replace a part with a part with a different weight (like a different size or ply of tire), or remove or add something (like a wheel fairing), you're really supposed to recalculate your W&B and have the corrected one in the aircraft.

And it may take an A&P or a LSR-M to legally do it.

Just a head's up!

Eddie is basically correct, however changing the main tires to a heavier kind will not make a lot of difference to cofg since they are virtually centered there and the nose wheel is unchanged.

For that reason I would not sweat it other than possibly the half pound increase in weight.

Thanks Kurt. It seems if I were to do this, it would be in stages to minimize the financial pain. Probably tires first, then the bigger wheelpants, and finally, someday if I ever felt super-flush with cash, I'd do the nose gear. Does anybody have a ballpark on what the larger tires cost per unit for the monster treads?

Second question: Are there any benefits to running the larger tires if you are sticking to well-maintained, paved runways? Or is it really just going to help with grass/dirt/unimproved strips?

Thanks to everybody for all the help!

The larger tires handle bumps, holes and runway grooves a little better. You can run a little less air in them because they can handle more weight so the ride is a tad better. You get more tire and ply choices. Is it really worth the change? Good question. Maybe some who have done it will chime in. I have the larger tires and do like them better, especially tire choices.

I have over 700 hours in several different CT's with the small tires on both pavements and grass. I am sure the bigger tires are better for rough ground, They would also hold up better out West where they have the thorns. The one airplane I flew with the big tires I didn't like the feel of it on the ground. I think it is just a individual taste type thing.

I don't bounce anymore. With the Matco rims, I use 28psi in the monsters with leakguard tubes. Even if I drop from a couple feet up, the big tires absorb it better and I calculated based on their much greater mass moment of inertia that they pull about 12% of the energy out of the system at 40kts spinning up. I found quite a deal here where someone had a spare set of big CTSW pants for just $400 That initiated my gear change over. http://www.desser.com/store/products/600%252d6-6-PLY-MONSTER-RETREAD-AIRCRAFT-TIRE.html

I think the large wheels and tires are overall better. They can help absob some energey on a hardwr than normal landing depending on pressure. It's a shame FD just doesn't switch to those for all. I'm sure they would stay with the small tires for weight savings in places that only have a 450 kg limit.

I really dislike the 4" wheels but I would rather have them then no wheel pants.

If I ran without wheel pants I would find a pair of those fairings that clean up the wheels, I've seen them once or twice. Otherwise I would make my own. CTs without wheel pants are displeasing to my eyes. We could argue about the speed difference.

I think I would rather have the wheel pants for debris. That said the people I know without wheel pants aren't having any major issues. One guy did come in that had gone through a bit of mud and it was all over. If I didn't have wheel pants I would only land on paved runways. No grass or dirt.

Archived