Fuel filter check

gisurvey

I just did the first condition inspection on an airplane after the hose change. On this airplane I used a screw type clamp on the lower hose where it goes through the firewall. I got this tip from someone else, but I don't remember who at the moment. By taking that one clamp loose, disconnecting the shut off valve, and taking it loose I was able to check the filter right in the opening of the instrument panel. I think next time I will switch from a slotted screw in the clamp to an allen or hex type screw. Of all the different ways I have done this I like the way this worked the best.

The down stream position of the fuel filter below the fuel shut off is a royal pain in the rear and because of this no one really checks them as often as they should. Years ago some CT's came with the filter on the upstream side of the fuel valve. Years ago when FD changed the plastic fuel filter to the metal one there was 3 options of where the filter may be placed. When the LS's came out and they put the fuel transducer on the inside of the instrument panel where the fuel filter was so they relocated the fuel filter. This other location in both instances was up stream of the fuel valve. Now every time I do a hose change I relocate the fuel filter back up stream of the fuel valve. This facilitates easy inspections so now there is no reason not to do them. If you leave it down stream of the fuel valve then the easiest way to remove it is to remove the pilot side panel and the lower panel (one with the key) and now you can put both hands in a pull the hose off. It will still be the biggest pain in the butt, but it can be done. Leaving it down stream of the fuel valve and trying to remove it has caused many to pull wires loose in the process and you may not get in place like you should to prevent leaks.

The only thing about having it upstream of the fuel shutt off is you will need to clamp the fuel hose upstream of the filter to remove it to stop the fuel flow. That part is a piece of cake and removing the fuel filter in this location is easy too.

Replacing the screws in the clamps with Allen head screws works very well. Once in and heads aimed upward it is easy to use a 6" tee handle Allen wrench to unscrew the clamps. I have replaced many a slot head screw with an Allen head to make life a little easier. You can get the Allen head screws from Ace Aviation. (Ace Hardware)

Hi Tom,

On the fuel hose up in the wing area that needs the hole drilled in the fuselage, I use an Allen head screw on that fuel injection clamp. It makes this short 8" hose easy to change for the life of the plane. The Allen heads just make for a nice solid surface to unscrew the screws instead of a slot head that may keep slipping out.

Hi Tom,

On the fuel hose up in the wing area that needs the hole drilled in the fuselage, I use an Allen head screw on that fuel injection clamp. It makes this short 8" hose easy to change for the life of the plane. The Allen heads just make for a nice solid surface to unscrew the screws instead of a slot head that may keep slipping out.

Roger, I still have not drilled a hole for this. No problem changing them through the big hole that is already there. I may start switching the screws to an allen screw though.

This discussion is an example of the part of the SLSA standard that I find I don't really understand. It would seem to me that one would need an LOA to change out the clamps, and especially to use something that is not aviation grade. Yet, it's discussed here in a cavalier manner as if, "oh, well, it doesn't make any difference." Mine is experimental and it doesn't matter, but when it comes to SLSA....I'm jsut sayin'.

The clamps are not regulated on an individual basis. There are acceptable clamps and clamps that aren't acceptable. The short 8" fuel hose that comes off the fuel fitting by the sight gauge is either an Oetiker or fuel injection clamp. Both types of band clamps. I cut the one time use Oetiker clamp off and replace it with a fuel injection clamp and change out the slot head screw to an Allen head screw. Nothing illegal about this. Band clamps are an ASTM standard.

Archived