BRS repack due date

Roger Lee

Hi All,

This is another don't shoot the messenger message.

The BRS parachute has a 6 year repack time table due date. The 2005's will need to start the BRS chute repacks in 2011. The 2006's in 2012 and so on. There again will be a huge number of CT's due in 2012 and 2007. My guess is BRS may be over run because they have never had to deal with this many within such a short period. The chute is easy to take out and send in. I could take 3 weeks. A week to ship and a week back plus a week there at the Mfg. The rocket does not get shipped in at this time, only the chute. The rocket has a 12 year shelve life on it and gets sent in the second time the chute needs a repack. I think the cost for the repack may be around $1000-$1100. The repack times could cause a small problem with trying to leave a plane at an A&P's for 3 weeks. I don't think that will work out very well for the A&P or the owner. You may need to take care of this at your home base. This is still a wait and see since none of us has needed to do a repack yet.

You can't fly without the chute. It is part of the airworthy cert. You would have to have a letter from FD and that won't happen because they would shoulder all the liability if anything should happen while the chute was out. Just know it's coming and get it done will be the best answer. I know it isn't the answer everyone wants to hear, but that's the best that can be done.

• 2 weeks later...

I had my repack last year while my CT2k was in for it's annual. The turn-around time was two months, and the cost was $800.00. Bob Chandler at Chesapeake Aviation handled it for me. Luckily his large hanger had to room to store my aircraft during the wait-time.

Hi All,

Okay here is the scoop right from Dereck at BRS.

First they are just coming into the repack times for SLSA. Yes they have been doing some from the Ultralight fliers and some from the GA world. These groups are of two different mind sets. Tell an Ultralight flier they need 6 weeks and he's good to go. Tell a GA pilot that and they grumble over a week. So the truth will lie in the middle. They are just now getting to the repack times for SLSA and we and they know that starting in 2011 some will start to trickle in. We both know that in 2012 that they will be swamped as they have never been before in their history. So time may run from 2-4 weeks to be realistic. 3 weeks may be a good bet. They will have hundreds to do in 2012 and in 2013. We talked about a way to help this process and make it as quick as possible. First don't wait until the last day of the month it is due to send it in. Plan out at least 2 months. Then call them and make a tentative appoint or time that yours will show up. this helps them plan for parts and personnel availability instead of getting caught off guard when they come to work Monday morning. It takes at least 3-4 days to repack. They have to open and inspect every inch of the chute. They then refold it and use a ram with tons of pressure to press it into a jig. Then it gets baked at 170F for 16 hrs. Then it cools for at least 4 + hrs. So if you have limited staff, get hit with a ton of chutes all at one time, get wiped out on parts and have a week of shipping from you and a week back to you, you will have 3-4 weeks of down time. We breached the idea of a chute swap, i.e. as yours come in then you may get someone elses and out the door it goes in a round robin. I personally didn't like the idea because I don't know how the other chute was taken care of. The other guy's may have sat on the ramp all its life and mine was in a nice dry climate hanger. So I don't think this may go over that well.

The cost will be around $1K give or take $100. Just remember some of this is new for everyone. The owner and BRS know the first LSA's are just now starting to come due. They said after things start rolling maybe they can get a better handle on the actual large scale influx of LSA chutes.

The key here is to plan ahead and don't procrastinate when you are getting close.

There are not only CT's out there, but other LSA to consider in this repack time table.

Where exactly, in the "Certification" is the requirement for the BRS. The AOI for my CTLS lists the chute as optional equipment. It is specifically not in the required equipment list. Flight Design has not notified me (the registered owner) of a chute requirement and it is not posted on their web site. It must not be an ASTM requirement as Cessna and other SLSAs do not have chutes.

PRW

Hi Phillip,

Your plane was certified by the original DAR with that chute as original equipment so it is not airworthy if you take it out without permission. I would bet a months pay FD won't let you do it because they assume some of the liability. I guy here in AZ took his out. Fines rack up quick. They had to put it back in and had to get the plane with other issues too signed back off by a DAR as airworthy and then I did a pre-buy inspection. It was very very costly. Since it was put in you will notice in the literature you received with every single plane the repack timetable. Once it goes past the repack time you are no longer airworthy. Since this was original equipment you are now bound by the MFG's (BRS) requirements. It might be optional in other parts of the world, but not here. These manuals are written for other parts of the world too so you have to separate the US market from the other areas around the world and then apply our FAA law.

I'll be hungry at lunch time Oct. 15th. Tell you what, you call Tom P. or Carol Carpenter at Rainbow Aviation and pose your question. You and I will have a lunch bet for Page in October. I prefer Mexican food. :D

If I'm wrong you get to pick where you want lunch. :D

• 3 months later...

Hi All,

Here is another reminder.

The 2005 CT's and other BRS equipped aircraft are due for their 6 year BRS chute re-pack and by their annual date. I would do this at least 2 months before the due date. There is no exact price and time yet. It looks like the price will be around the $1100 and the time maybe 2 weeks and possibly 3 weeks. When a few have had this done we can post an updated price and time.

In 2012 all 2006 aircraft will need the re-pack.

• 2 months later...

Hi All,

This is another don't shoot the messenger message.

The BRS parachute has a 6 year repack time table due date. The 2005's will need to start the BRS chute repacks in 2011. The 2006's in 2012 and so on. There again will be a huge number of CT's due in 2012 and 2007. My guess is BRS may be over run because they have never had to deal with this many within such a short period. The chute is easy to take out and send in. I could take 3 weeks. A week to ship and a week back plus a week there at the Mfg. The rocket does not get shipped in at this time, only the chute. The rocket has a 12 year shelve life on it and gets sent in the second time the chute needs a repack. I think the cost for the repack may be around $1000-$1100. The repack times could cause a small problem with trying to leave a plane at an A&P's for 3 weeks. I don't think that will work out very well for the A&P or the owner. You may need to take care of this at your home base. This is still a wait and see since none of us has needed to do a repack yet.

Any news on repacks yet Roger...time out of service and cost experiences?

Archived