Long term parking and brakes

FlyingMonkey

In a hangar with a tight fit, I've seen a chock or block fastened to the floor so the plane could roll back to far when being pushed in to be hangared. Prevents damage to control surfaces if someone pushes too enthusiastically. It's simple then to drop a chock or block in front of the wheel, as well.

My planes have been re-positioned on ramps and in hangars including mine without me being involved, that's why I would never set the brake.

I had breakfast near my parking this morning in dead calm and thought about just setting the brake, I tied down instead. It was still calm on departure but not for long, the ride home ended with a downwind landing. The AWOS and socks reported calm but downwind it was. As we drove away both 09 and 27 had tailwinds.

The CT's at my field do not chock or set our brakes in the hangar. The floor should be flat and it shouldn't roll. If it rolled that easy then you wouldn't have to push so much. On the ramp I usually just tie down. If it is long term tie down and use chocks, but I wouldn't t leave the brakes pressurized for those long term parks.

p.s.

I have another CT moving to my field. That makes 7 full time and two more for the winter time.

Getting to be a CT strategic command. LOL

My hangar floor appears to be level and I've never noticed my plane rolling on its own but I still chock both sides of the main just to be sure. Gives me piece-of-mind and only takes a few seconds to do. Also ensures the plane is chocked when I do light maintenance in the hangar.

FYI. Air Gizmos has some nice light-weight chocks that are easy to bring with you. Total weight of around 6oz.

My instructor discouraged the practice as, over the years, he's had planes' brakes freeze/rust in a locked state.

Tim

Yep, they do that ,too. In the north country in winter, he who sets his parking brake will probably be he who can't go flying. At least not without some effort and maybe a little heat.

Archived