Tool Kit

mocfly

Guys,

I'm trying to put together a small toolkit to keep in the baggage compartment and would like a few examples of what others have in the ones thy carry.

For starters

1. Spare nose wheel and main tubes.

2. Good quality long metric Allen set

3. 1/4 drive metric socket set. With 2 extensions

4. Metric open end set.

5. Inexpensive voltage tester

6. Quality set of screw drivers. Straight and Phillips.

7. Last but not least gorilla duct tape.

Of course, this will be very personal.

If you want to keep it light and small, don't bring any sets. Bring only the specific tools that you know fit something. If you want to keep the kit smaller, bring only the tools that you can use - no need to bring the alignment tool for putting the cylinders on. You may find two nut drivers will do instead of the socket set. :)

On the other hand, if you have the room and weight, bring an entire main wheel already blown up and mounted.

The tool kit can be specifically for things you are competent at doing and that you may need to do, or it could include specialty tools if you think you'll be near an A&P who might not have the right wrench.

A jack or some way of getting a wheel off the ground (different if you'll have help or be alone).

One way to look at it is to think of not a set of tools but the tools for a given job. Let's suppose you want to be able to change a plug. Then, you'll need a plug socket and it might not hurt to have some heat transfer paste.

If something is squeaking or binding, you will want some lubricant and the tools to loosen and retighten it, plus maybe clean it, so maybe some emery cloth, light sandpaper or whatever. A couple of square inches.

If a fiberglass piece (like a wheel pant) starts working and eggs out a hole, maybe you want 3-4 flat washers of various sized to hold till you can patch the fiberglass.

For every tool you put in the plane, you might think not whether you have the ability to do any job you can imagine, but rather whether you have the ability to do any job likely or so critical you have to have the capability.

Just another way to look at it. Some airplane problems we fix, some we let someone else fix, some we trailer it home.

I figure I'll want to change tires, change plugs, tighten or secure sensor leads, conceivably change oil (not likely away from home usually), address fiberglass issues with cowl or pants, make sure everything moves smoothly, look at simple electrical or lighting issues and fasten things down.

Better throw in some zip ties or other way to fasten things to other things until you can get home and do it better.

Make sure the flashlight you usually carry is adequate or get a good one with batteries.

It is not a bad idea to through in a couple of baggies or other things to put little parts in. Nothing worse than have screws rolling around and dropping them in the grass.

Of course, your manuals are on your EFB :)

I think this is a very individual choice that depends even on the flight in mind. It will be interesting to see how others approach the question. Has anyone put a kitchen sink in the back door of the CTSW?

Hi Andy,

On your side of the country either Lockwood or Leading Edge. For a temporary fix you could use a couple of wraps of safety wire.

LOL. That's what I used when I was 400 miles from home and found a spring missing on preflight. And why I suggested carrying a small hank of safety wire.

I carry a small tire inflator kit made for bicycle use. It has five 16 gram CO2 canisters (roughly three inches in length, about an inch in diameter) and an adaptor to fill standard tire valve. Very small, total package about 5x5x1 inch. Can purchase from bicycle or motorcycle stores/web sites. This is for emergency use, not regular topping-up at the hangar.

I got mine at aerostich.com/tools/tire-repair/tire-repair-kits/co2-power-kit.html. I bet Fast Eddie knows Aerostich, they sell good motorcycle accessories.

I had a flat tire on a ferry flight and had to improvise by using a 6 foot ladder to hold the wing so the tire was off the ground. The issue I had was finding something to pad the bottom of the wing so if you wrap all these tools in a soft/padded bag you could use it to keep the bottom of the wing from getting scratched. Might as well use it all!

I bet Fast Eddie knows Aerostich, they sell good motorcycle accessories.

You think?

9370812008_a335f1dc90_z.jpg

(Cherohala Skyway in February - brrrrr!)

I'm on my second two-piece RoadCrafter suit.

Great company with a very fun catalog. Since packing light is equally important for flying and motorcycling, its worth getting even if you don't ride. If you're ever in or around Duluth, MN, their little "factory" is worth a tour!

Archived