CT Seats

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

My CT seats are problematic. The lumbar support is non-existent, and my back aches after about 20min in the air. Can anybody recommend good lumbar pads/cushions that are not too obtrusive? Has anybody tried removing the seat covers from the shells and adding some padding in the lumbar area, then replacing the covers? I have leather seats, BTW.

More importantly, the strap that sets the seat angle slips in my plane. My instructor put the plane in a 2.5g turn and *thunk* the strap on my seat let go and banged the seat into the rear bulkhead. If it did that in a critical phase of flight when I was flying I worry about unintended control inputs. Is there a fix for this? Maybe knot the strap above the friction lock so it can't slip?

Thanks!

This is what I use in my Sky Arrow (and Honda Element):

$(KGrHqIOKiYE0D7!,ErOBNW1I5(fCw~~_35.JPG

Usually $10 to $15, but I found them once at one of the "dollar" stores for $5.

In the summer, they also let air circulate so you don't stick to the seats!

Can't help with the second part - but obviously a seatback that "slips" is not a good thing.

On the "slipping" have you checked that the strap is fed correctly through the anti-slip buckle?

Compare both sides & see if anything is different between the one that holds & the one that slips.

On the "slipping" have you checked that the strap is fed correctly through the anti-slip buckle?

Compare both sides & see if anything is different between the one that holds & the one that slips.

Good thought Ian, I'll compare the two. It may be fed backward through the buckle, that didn't occur to me.

For the strap behind the seat. First the seat should never touch the bulkhead when a person is in it. It should be off the back. If it rest against it it can break the seat right in the middle. I have seen it several times. Once you get the strap where you want it put a half hitch in it and that will keep it from slipping. I do it for most of my customers. It's easy to remove the hitch when you need to readjust, but that should rarely be necessary.

All the CTSW seat belts slip. It is the type of tri-glide device that should keep them from slipping. They are just too slick and don't have any roughened edge to keep that from happening. Sew on by hand some velcro on the loose end of the strap and the secured part. then snug the belt and push it down on the velcro. It won't slip.

This is what I use in my Sky Arrow (and Honda Element):

$(KGrHqIOKiYE0D7!,ErOBNW1I5(fCw~~_35.JPG

Usually $10 to $15, but I found them once at one of the "dollar" stores for $5.

In the summer, they also let air circulate so you don't stick to the seats!

You can get those at Walgreen's for $10 for 3 of them.

It's more rigid than it looks. Lots of support.

I have an extra in my hangar - yet another enticement to get your *ss over here!

LOL...one thing at a time. I'm taking it slow so I don't bend my new toy or myself. I figure in a couple of weeks I'll be ready for some short cross countries.

Over time, many folks here have reported successfully re-foaming their seats. There are many sources of foams, which come in many thicknesses and densities. I think Oregon Aero is the premiere custom seating people. AircraftSpruce also sells foam.

Tim

I was "one of those guys" who took the leather seat covers off and added 1" of memory foam then recovered. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be but I managed to get it done. Between the memory foam and the sheepskin covers it made the seats a lot more comfy. If I had it to do over again (and I will when my new Jubilee gets here) I'd leave the seats alone, and simply add an external pillow (seat cushion) of memory foam custom sewn to exact seat size. (I knew there was a reason I took Home Economics in High School - Other than just because there were 40 girls and only a couple boys!)

I added 1" of memory foam and it made me too tall is the saddle, especially when it was cold. ended up taking out factory foam and just going with the memory foam. Also installed lumbar pump up bags in the sweet spot. Still not the most comfy on the butt but it is what it is.

Andy,

I added 2 inches of blue/green confor foam to my seats and my last 6.1 hour direct trip from New Jersey to Chattanooga required none of the typical post flight chiropractor adjustment. When I get back into town I'll come down to look at your new baby and you can hop into mine and see if you like the seat.

Archived