Best Glide

FlyingMonkey

Yep, monitor 121.5. If the F16 pulls up along side or if I want to contact someone and no logical frequency works, I will comply. Otherwise, I suppose to label myself a scofflaw, I monitor Center, a local class C or D airport, a busy unicom when nearby, FSS, a nearby weather frequency and then 121.5.

One problem is, few others monitor 121.5. It's getting to be kind of like relying on an old ELT - makes you feel good but serves a dubious purpose.

What you say is right - and seldom followed. I've never had one question on it in 40 odd years of flying, never on a check ride, never on an oral.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe this only came into effect after 9/11.

I believe close to 100% of professional airline crews monitor emergency frequency on their standby comms. On practically every cross country flight, I hear ATC contact or attempt to contact an airline flight on emergency frequency.

In any case, if it's ruled mandatory by NOTAM, the fact that few pilots seem to know about it is irrelevant, except regarding the NOTAM system which does not seem to push important information to pilots in an effective manner.

But we can all do what we want. I just don't want to leave the impression it's recommended or optional - its a mandatory NOTAM, and the word "shall" has a specific definition.

Real life: when my ROTAX started running VERY rough over NW Georgia, I already had 121.5 in my comm, as I virtually always do, so all I had to do is mash my transmit button to declare an emergency. I can tell you that in a sudden emergency, one less thing to do (switching to 121.5) is a great help.

Parenthetically, as I got near the nearest airport, I heard "Hey Ed - it's Trip and Sheri and we'll follow you in." Trip was giving Sheri some commercial instruction nearby and heard my declaration on 121.5, which they were monitoring, as required by NOTAM. Sheri said it was the first real emergency she had heard on the radio - what are the chances it would be one of her fiance's best friends?

Pretend life:

"Aircraft at 5,500 approaching Turkey Point Nuclear Facility from the south, you on guard?"

"Guard, that might be me, Experimental Sky Arrow N467SA, 5,500' about 4 miles south of Turkey Point, heading about 010."

"Sky Arrow 467SA, suggest an immediate turn away from the facility - your choice on direction"

"467SA turning due west right now - is there a problem?"

"467SA, they're in the middle of an emergency situation there right now - its all the information we have. I'd suggest your present heading for the next 10 miles to be safe, and thanks for your help"

"467SA, no problem. And thanks for YOUR help!"

Unlikely? Sure. Might they have tried other possible frequencies as well? Maybe. But fly long enough and you're very likely to eventually stumble onto some weird sh*t.

And this is yet another case where it's really not that hard to do it the way they want - so why not?

Real life: when my ROTAX started running VERY rough over NW Georgia, I already had 121.5 in my comm, as I virtually always do, so all I had to do is mash my transmit button to declare an emergency. I can tell you that in a sudden emergency, one less thing to do (switching to 121.5) is a great help.

Parenthetically, as I got near the nearest airport, I heard "Hey Ed - it's Trip and Sheri and we'll follow you in." Trip was giving Sheri some commercial instruction nearby and heard my declaration on 121.5, which they were monitoring, as required by NOTAM. Sheri said it was the first real emergency she had heard on the radio - what are the chances it would be one of her fiance's best friends?

Pretend life:

"Aircraft at 5,500 approaching Turkey Point Nuclear Facility from the south, you on guard?"

"Guard, that might be me, Experimental Sky Arrow N467SA, 5,500' about 4 miles south of Turkey Point, heading about 010."

"Sky Arrow 467SA, suggest an immediate turn away from the facility - your choice on direction"

"467SA turning due west right now - is there a problem?"

"467SA, they're in the middle of an emergency situation there right now - its all the information we have. I'd suggest your present heading for the next 10 miles to be safe, and thanks for your help"

"467SA, no problem. And thanks for YOUR help!"

Unlikely? Sure. Might they have tried other possible frequencies as well? Maybe. But fly long enough and you're very likely to eventually stumble onto some weird sh*t.

And this is yet another case where it's really not that hard to do it the way they want - so why not?

10 miles wouldn't have been enough if that thing were to blow.... :)

Eddie, what kind of weed are you on today? Are they burning the kudzu?

In an emergency, about the fourth or so thing I would do is worry about getting on 121.5. First, fly the airplane. Second, navigate according to your best estimate of the situation.Toward a landing spot, away from a school, to the nearest airport - whatever. Third, trouble shoot the problem. Lastly, talk to ATC. What good will ATC do you earlier? Take your time and attention to ask now many souls on board? Give you advice that suits their purposes with little concern for your best interests? Put you in the way of having more inputs and distractions when that is the last thing you need. When nall of this is stabilized, talk to ATC. Be prepared to request certain services as appropriate rather than be so early in the problem that all you can do is respond to their queries.

Of course, when ATC can help you contact them with your plan so they know how best to support you. :)

To be clear, after the couple moments of "deer in the headlights", I slowed to best glide, selected a field (not a vey good one in a mostly wooded area) and turned towards it. It was then that I made a quick call declaring an emergency. Then futzed with carb heat and ignition and stuff as the power very gradually started to come back up as the engine smoothed out.

On the one hand, you're right - there's virtually nothing ATC can do to help you with your emergency, other than maybe point you to a nearby airport if brain freeze has set in. In that regard, they are a low priority.

But on the other hand, if I do have to land in inhospitable terrain, I want to be sure someone knows for sure I went down. If Karen or myself were seriously injured, every minute might count getting rescue to us.

As far as...

Give you advice that suits their purposes with little concern for your best interests?

That sounds awfully cynical. Do you have a personal backstory that took you there?

No personal story, and I'm not saying ATC wouldn't try to help, but if one called ATC, declared an emergency and requested help without giving some indication of what help you need, they will give you the help they can think of just so they can feel good or useful, if nothing else. They're human. Yes, I'm constitutionally a skeptic, not to say cynic.

Archived