Knowing your pitch and power

coppercity

Had a pitot blockage yesterday right after takeoff, I managed to spear a bug dead on! No big deal, keep flying the plane using the pitch attitudes and power settings you normally climb, cruise, descend and land at. As I climbed up to altitude my airspeed acted like an altimeter, by the time I made 8500ft to cross the hills back home my indicated airspeed was over 205KIAS. As I descended back to the pattern at Bisbee the airspeed dropped off below 30KIAS and finally down to zero around the base to final turn. Great thing I learned about the Dynon is it will put the GPS ground speed up on the primary flight display automatically below the airspeed tape as a reference when it detects a airspeed problem. Landed safely, cleaned out the pitot probe and all was fine.

So next time your out joy riding, try finding your Vy, Vfe, Va, descent speed and approach speeds just using your outside pitch reference and power settings without looking at the IAS until you think it's where it needs to be.

As I climbed up to altitude my airspeed acted like an altimeter, by the time I made 8500ft to cross the hills back home my indicated airspeed was over 205KIAS. A

We can dream about that kind of IAS!

But, very good advice because it can happen anytime. But not often, only twice in my 48 years flying.

. . . "keep flying the plane using the pitch attitudes and power settings you normally climb, cruise, descend and land at." . . .

Well done Eric!

A good operating practice for all pilots. That's what I call excellent basic airmanship.

Good job, Eric. I had it happen to me in a C177 about 10 years ago. I used the techniques you recommended and all was well.

The other day, a friend and I were out and did some steep turns without any instrument references as the other pilot kept an eye on coordination and attitude. Very good practice, as you recommend. Yes, we should all do it periodically and we should all know our numbers.

When learning IFR, one of the first things we do is learn pitch and power to yield a descent rate and airspeed.

. . . "When learning IFR, one of the first things we do is learn pitch and power to yield a descent rate and airspeed." . . .

Pitch and power will not fail you.

Regarding that, two fatal accidents come to mind, which may have been avoided, had the crews strictly observed that.

The Air Florida B-737 takeoff from Washington National and the Air France A-330 over the South Atlantic. In each accident, the engines were capable of developing normal power. In both cases, false or missing instrument indications were major contributing factors in the accident.

Archived