The Wing Mount I Would Love, If...

Sting Flight

...I was going to mount a GPH3 to the underside of my airplane wing. Not saying I would, mind you. But, if I did, I'm almost certain it would be safe, simple, sturdy, vibration-free, and most importantly--would never result in the dread of a lot of flying videos: JELLO!

These are the basic components I'd gather, focusing on the sturdy factory tie-down ring out there near the underside tip of my wing. I'd attach a threaded 1-inch rubber ball to that ring, with a small thumbscrew and backing plate. I'm not sure (until this posts up) you can enlarge the pic to see these components, but I'd also cut all the GPH3 attachment crap off the GPH3 case with a hacksaw, and epoxy a simple 1-inch rubber ball onto the lower back of the case (ask, if you don't see why), instead. Then, the two 1-inch balls would get connected with the stoutest 2.25-inch RAM arm I could buy; this would give me lots of maneuverability--and vibration dampening, you know?

post-862-0-44608200-1376874189_thumb.jpg

And, these are some shots of how the completed project might look.

post-862-0-68165000-1376874481_thumb.jpg

post-862-0-60134700-1376874506_thumb.jpg

post-862-0-97180000-1376874521_thumb.jpg

And, just to make sure vibration was for sure killed and dead, when tightening that little GPH3 down with the 2.25-inch arm, I would force the camera up into contact with the bottom wing surface, thus creating a form of double-bracing. A small piece of Gorilla Tape in between the camera and wing at that point would ensure no inadvertent marring of my baby's paint job (my baby don't have gelcoat--just paint--to save 30# weight). Anyway, all this is what I'd do--if I was gonna hang a camera out there...

I've found the GP silicon suction cup mount tends to dampen out the jello effect better than hard connections. The hard mount picks up every vibration, which gets magnified the longer the arm. The closer to the longitudinal axis the mount, (preferably on hard points or under the spar), the less wobble. Watch out mounting it in front of control surfaces, there will be a noticeable control effect. You tube has some editing algorithms for taking out some of the wobble. I am sure that there are other programs out there to do the same. Edit the videos!!! (so far so good!!) viewers typically have a pretty short attention span for long cruise shots unless the scene changes quickly.......

Could be...I just never liked the idea of suction cups anyplace outside the cockpit. They can and do come off.

But you know the other real problem with wing-tip camera mounts like this? You really need smooth air to get nice footage. Any bumpiness gets exacerbated out there at the tips of the wings.

I have been using my Gopro suction cup without any extensions so the camera is right up by the wing. It hasn't moved yet and doesn't have any jello effect. With the camera size and weight I don't think the force exerted on it at our air speeds is more than about 3 lbs or less.

Archived