GoPro Hero3 Fields Of View Compared

FastEddieB

What with lousy, rainy weather and our scratched flight to Oshkosh, I had not flown my little Sky Arrow in about a month.

And it shows!

In any case, I finally got to fly today. I wanted to focus on how the three different fields of view of the GoPro compared, and here's the result (best viewed at 720p and full screen):

Comments:

1) I was rusty. Neither my approaches nor my touchdowns were up to my usual standards, but so it goes.

2) I tried to make each approach identical. I aimed to be at 2,200' (about 400' agl) at the same point on final with full flaps and minimal power. Pretty much succeeded.

3) I ended up "jockeying" the power much more than usual, but still got it back to idle before the roundout began.

4) The "narrow" view is the one that most closely mimics the real view from the cockpit. I don't know why it's noticeably more grainy - no other setting was changed other than the field of view.

5) As has been noted before, the Ultra-Wide angle really makes the plane appear much lower and flatter on the approach than it really is.

Archived