External mount test

Ed Cesnalis

Roger, I have the suction mount and was planning to also mount by the tie down ring. Do you zip tie to the ring, or just trust the mount?

Andy, I would not zip tie to the ring. What happens if the suction mount fails? Your camera and mount may be banging the underside of the wing in a manner you might not like. I'm sure someone has had a suction mount failure but I haven't heard of one.

On my wing mount, I cinched the camera tight against the strut with reusable tywraps both to stabilize it and back up the suction cup. I think I had a large rubber washer or piece of hose cinched tight between the camera case and the strut. AND had a tether, just in case.

9599579762_7a43630517_z.jpg

And here's the associated video, if anyone missed it:

BTW, the point of view that excludes the plane entirely is different. I generally like some part of the plane or panel to help frame the experience, but it seems more like "free flight" without.

Oh, and why were we deprived of the actual landing? Hope you didn't get too slow and crash!

Hi Ed,

I have been shooting at 1080, 30 fps in the normal screen mode. I use the suction cup out at the tie down ring. The camera casing connects directly to the suction cup mount without any other attachment. I'm not getting any of that jello effect.

After reviewing my footage it is obvious that a low and slow power setting resulted in jello. As soon as I advanced the throttle it went away. Wasn't there wit the closed throttle either.

Andy, I would not zip tie to the ring. What happens if the suction mount fails? Your camera and mount may be banging the underside of the wing in a manner you might not like. I'm sure someone has had a suction mount failure but I haven't heard of one.

I have lost a (one of my two) suction cup mounts. That said, the loss was of my making. Over numerous flights, I had taken to the habit of placing the suction cup and twisting the mount slightly to achieve the exact azimuth I wanted. The mount seemed to accommodate this, and I thought that it was designed to turn, but what I found was that it was putting stress each time on the little plastic fitting that attaches the silicone cup to the mount device. Over time, the stress built up and this is where it failed. The loss occurred on a VERY cold day after capturing some stellar footage of skiers dropping into a steep alpine chute. To celebrate the shots, we flew up to 12,500 over a different mountain range, outside air temperature about -35C. I looked out again, and there it was, gone. :-(

I have no doubt about the function and integrity of the suction cup mount. this was my learning curve. I still won't tether a camera. Besides, the new cameras get better with every season.

Archived