iPad Mount

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

I have been head scratching for a couple of weeks trying to figure the best way to keep my (full size) iPad useful but not too much in the way in the cockpit. I settled on a suction cup RAM mount the puts the iPad on the side of the mushroom. Here it is:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/MrMorden00/image_zpsb2e1572e.jpg

And here is the mount:

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj277/MrMorden00/image_zps537feacc.jpg

The only real concern I have is about the side window. Is this too much weight on the area with the suction cup, and am I risking cracked plexiglass? If not I think this will be pretty great...I can actually see over it somewhat so it blocks even less view than it looks like.

Keep us tuned in. I have a 7 inch android (a little smaller than your ipad) with anywhere map and was thinking about something similar.to your set up. Still debating between the suction cup and a ram ball mounted on the side of the mushroom (or perhaps the edge of the panel).

Just purchase a RAM mounting ball and bolt directly to the left side of the mushroom, using rubber backed steel washers on the inside Not sure if you need a double ball mounting arm or not. I use this set up for my IPad mini and it works great. You may want to beef up the backside of the mushroom, given the added weight of the IPad over the Mini.

Roger Kuhn

Keep us tuned in. I have a 7 inch android (a little smaller than your ipad) with anywhere map and was thinking about something similar.to your set up. Still debating between the suction cup and a ram ball mounted on the side of the mushroom (or perhaps the edge of the panel).

I also have a Nexus 7, I might switch between it and the iPad.

I love the mini - less than half the weight. My wife prefers the larger screen of the iPad3. I have the same set up in my cirrus along with a stratus which gives me a backup AHRS in case of complete electrical failure. Of course provides weather and limited traffic as well.

Yeah, I like the large screen of the iPad, but it might just be overkill. As I mentioned I'm going to fiddle between the iPad and my Nexus 7 to see where the best trade off is for me. I have to say so far I've been a little disappointed with the screen brightness in sunlight of my iPad 3...it looks amazing in the hangar, but get it in the Georgia sun and it washes out pretty badly. I don't know how low wing guys with bubble canopies could find it usable at all.

When I flew a lot of charter, the pilots carried their headsets on to whatever they were flying. This was Cessna 402s, KingAir 90s and 100s and Citation 1's and 2's. Charts were already onboard as were flashlights, and both were noted in pre-flight.

They didn't use kneeboards. No yoke clips for the approach charts. No pads of paper.

When a clearance was given, since they'd already studied it and were experienced, they knew the order and likely instructions and they simply entered them into the avionics as fast as ATC read them off. Yes, my jaw dropped the first time I saw it, then I eventually did it that way, too.

So, I lay my iPad on the seat or on my lap. When I want to check something, I pick it up, tilt it out of the sun, get my info and lay it back down. If I need to use two hands, I'm already trimmed and can mostly steer by rudder, anyway, so that is no deal for a short time.

All I'm suggesting is that it really doesn't matter very much.

Now, I will grant that flying VFR is often more challenging than flying "in the system" and I don't mean to demean the benefit obtained from the iPad. If it works better up in your vision all the time, OK.

Archived