Other Pilots Love the CT

FlyingMonkey

I have had my CTSW at KWDR for about six weeks now, and I have noticed a strange phenomenon...

Whenever I have the hangar door open, there is about a 75% chance that another pilot will stop by to "take a look" at the CTSW, ask questions, sit in the cockpit, and generally admire the airplane. They all seem to leave impressed at the combination of speed, load, range and utility of the CT.

Yesterday it was a Legend Cub owner who said he loves his airplane for just playing around, but if he would really rather have a CT for traveling. A couple of days before that it was a Cherokee Six owner two hangars down. We both went up to do pattern work at the same time and landed around the same time. He asked how much fuel I burned, and I said "I dunno, two or three gallons." He shook his head, looked at his feet, and said "I burned 10." :D

I have had my CTSW at KWDR for about six weeks now, and I have noticed a strange phenomenon...

Whenever I have the hangar door open, there is about a 75% chance that another pilot will stop by to "take a look" at the CTSW, ask questions, sit in the cockpit, and generally admire the airplane. They all seem to leave impressed at the combination of speed, load, range and utility of the CT.

Yesterday it was a Legend Cub owner who said he loves his airplane for just playing around, but if he would really rather have a CT for traveling. A couple of days before that it was a Cherokee Six owner two hangars down. We both went up to do pattern work at the same time and landed around the same time. He asked how much fuel I burned, and I said "I dunno, two or three gallons." He shook his head, looked at his feet, and said "I burned 10." :D

Same experience with my CTLS. Including when traveling to other airports.

Cheers

... He asked how much fuel I burned, and I said "I dunno, two or three gallons." He shook his head, looked at his feet, and said "I burned 10." :D

I was a Cherokee6 owner before getting the CTLS and I can vouch for that - we reckoned on planning at 1litre/minute - 60/hour which for just tootling around is crazy.

BUT, although we plan the CT at 20 litres/hour and usually achieve around 17, that only takes 2 people - the Cherokee takes 6 and cruises at 125 knots so in terms of litres/mile travelled, if you have 6 people on board it's really not such a bad deal! The trouble was we seldom flew with more than 2 :(

I agree though, the CT does draw attention, if I google my registration (G-CGRB) I find lots of people have been taking photographs and posting them online.

Ian, I don't argue the greater utility of the stretch Cherokee. But the problem is for most pilots 90%+ of the time, you are flying solo or with one passenger and just "tootling around" as you said. It's great when hauling tons of people and gear around, but it is painful for just working the pattern or "tootling". But every airplane is a trade-off, so it all depends on what kind of flying you need to do.

Andy, I think that's exactly what I was trying to say. The group of us that owned the Cherokee6 kind of dwindled to the point that only two of us were ever flying it and that's when it got so expensive that we decided to sell up - in the end we got peanuts for a very good aircraft, but I then bought my CTLS and it is a joy, but very, very different.

When the group was active we had some great times, one of our members is a Manchester United Season Ticket holder, so in 1999 when they played Bayern Munich in the European Cup final in Barcelona we flew him & his son to the game, trips across Europe to many destinations, my furthest flown was to Prague - but those were the days when my instrument rating was current so it was straight to FL100 and beacon hop along the airways - navigation when flying IFR is just so much easier!!

It was interesting when I got the CT that the insurance company insisted on a conversion training course even though legally with my license there was no call for it. I felt a bit miffed at the time, but soon was very appreciative, driving a 600kg aircraft behind a 100HP Rotax is a whole new experience.

It's something I've gotten used to, and have to plan for! 'Nothing worse that being at the hangar, with something you HAVE to do, or HAVE to go, and having to politely answer questions about the cute little bird. Not that I mind it, but I just have to figure someone is going to come up...

I carry a few extra CT brochures wherever I go, so I can hand them one. It helps.

Tim

Good idea on the brochures. And yes, several times already I'm trying to get something done before dark and somebody ambles up. I can't resist showing her off, so some tasks get put off. :)

For me, a big part of aviation anymore is the hangar flying that goes on when the big door is open. Here we have a saying that "if you want to get any work done, don't open the door!" Of course we usually do.

I gave up a lunch with my buddies yesterday. A pilot who owns a nearby grass field airport saw me doing landings at this airport, wrote my tail number and called me. He asked if he could stop by to look at my CT. He came by just before I was going to go to lunch and stayed over an hour marveling at the CT. He just built a 4 place Bear Hawk and had sold this. He is looking at his next medical and figures it's time to look at LSA. He has been considering building an RV12 but then noticed my CTSW and started looking into this. He has found some low hour CTSW's and finds that he can buy a used CT for equal to or less than what the RV12 will cost to build. He just kept walking around my CT and asking the question, why would I build a RV12 if I can get a CT? When I went over the specs and told him about the fight characteristics, he just shook his head. Next, he wants to bring over his wife to look at my plane and take a flight with me. Good chance he'll be hooked after the flight.

I am building an RV-12 and it will fly on Tuesday. Just don't know which Tuesday!

Seriously, the RV-12 is a better flyer than the CTSW. Controls are perfect, and my neighbor can out climb and out run me. It is comfortable.

However, all life is a compromise. The CTSW is more versatile . 34 gallons of gas vs. 20. 110# legal baggage vs. about 40. Wider cockpit in the Ct plus shade from the sun. The -12 "seems" to ride the turbulence better and it is a dream to land. Screwing up a landing takes real talent! Empty weight of a full paint -12 will be about 740#.

Build on a -12 with autopilot and full paint is about $75K and it takes a while to build even though it is the easiest RV to build and can be done in 700 hours. You can buy the SLSA version for about $120K. I have seen the finished SLSA and it is very nice. It has many goodies a new LS has but only one Skyview.

Life may have been better in Henry Fords day when you could have your new car in any color you wanted so long as it was black.

I am building an RV-12 and it will fly on Tuesday. Just don't know which Tuesday!

Seriously, the RV-12 is a better flyer than the CTSW. Controls are perfect, and my neighbor can out climb and out run me. It is comfortable.

However, all life is a compromise. The CTSW is more versatile . 34 gallons of gas vs. 20. 110# legal baggage vs. about 40. Wider cockpit in the Ct plus shade from the sun. The -12 "seems" to ride the turbulence better and it is a dream to land. Screwing up a landing takes real talent! Empty weight of a full paint -12 will be about 740#.

Build on a -12 with autopilot and full paint is about $75K and it takes a while to build even though it is the easiest RV to build and can be done in 700 hours. You can buy the SLSA version for about $120K. I have seen the finished SLSA and it is very nice. It has many goodies a new LS has but only one Skyview.

Life may have been better in Henry Fords day when you could have your new car in any color you wanted so long as it was black.

Not crazy about the location of the standard fuel tank though (20 gallons right behind you in cockpit).

I'm sure you are aware of that tank rupture that soaked that guy. I think he was very lucky not to turn into crispy critter.

Not crazy about the location of the standard fuel tank though (20 gallons right behind you in cockpit).

I'm sure you are aware of that tank rupture that soaked those guys. I think they were very lucky not to turn into crispy critters.

I have not heard of that event, do you have a link or more information?

True, I don't like the tank location. A mod. was supposedly done after that accident to help. One person built his E-AB and put tanks in the wings. Van's idea of having easily removable wings so people could trailer their plane home was a flop. Few, if any, do that.

But, i've seen plenty of accident reports over the years where aircraft equipped with wing tanks also burned. Latest i heard of was about 3 weeks ago a C-150 crashed at the end of departure runway in Anchorage. Burned on impact - no survivors. A few years ago a C-206 departed the same runway, overloaded, and also burned on impact. Could happen in any plane and does so I won't let that stop me from flying the -12.

I flew Beavers a lot of years too. Didn't particularly like sitting on 95 gallons in the belly and it's reputation for a crispy critter maker.

Oh, well, choices, choices.

Can you do this in a RV-12, or a CTL?. A week's worth of clothes, camping gear for 2 people, a case of beer, and 6 bottles of wine. Per my calcs we were withinn the CTSW CG limit (the further back the faster she flies). We didn't have the wine and beer when we took off from the UL strip at Airventure.

oshkosh_load.jpg

Can you do this in a RV-12, or a CTL?. A week's worth of clothes, camping gear for 2 people, a case of beer, and 6 bottles of wine. Per my calcs we were withinn the CTSW CG limit (the further back the faster she flies). We didn't have the wine and beer when we took off from the UL strip at Airventure.

oshkosh_load.jpg

Hell no you can't do that in a -12. I think my post indicated the CTSW was far superior to a -12 baggage wise and cockpit size.

I don't advocate one plane over the other. Each has it's advantages.

John, didn't mean to be insensitive to RV owners. As you say, it all depends on the mission. The guy looking at my CTSW was looking for an LSA to replace his Champ which he flies twice each year from lower Michigan to his father's home in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - probably 400 plus miles. This is an all day event with multiple gas stops at 85mph in the Champ. When he saw how much gear he can take and the speed and range of the CT, and then looked at mine and saw my auto pilot, he kind of got glassy eyed and you could see the wheels turning. I've flown in RV's and recently visited my friend who has built and is flying his Harmon Rocket with IO540 injected engine with constant speed (huge!) prop and all I can say is Wow! All the room for baggage is taken up for fuel in this RV though! Just depends on the mission! :-)

John, didn't mean to be insensitive to RV owners. As you say, it all depends on the mission. The guy looking at my CTSW was looking for an LSA to replace his Champ which he flies twice each year from lower Michigan to his father's home in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - probably 400 plus miles. This is an all day event with multiple gas stops at 85mph in the Champ. When he saw how much gear he can take and the speed and range of the CT, and then looked at mine and saw my auto pilot, he kind of got glassy eyed and you could see the wheels turning. I've flown in RV's and recently visited my friend who has built and is flying his Harmon Rocket with IO540 injected engine with constant speed (huge!) prop and all I can say is Wow! All the room for baggage is taken up for fuel in this RV though! Just depends on the mission! :-)

Didn't think you were being insensitive I was just adding my 2 cents. I don't really know what I would buy if I were in the market now but it could well be another SW since a CTLSi is too heavy for a "useful" useful load. Maybe i would go for an RV-7 or RV-14 for the near 200 mph cruise - if I decided to go for medical renewal.

One thing is for sure though - I'm a flyer not a builder. I doubt i would ever take on another build.

I sold a beautifully equipped, full IFR/autopilot/partial glass panel/leather interior C-182 and bought my 2007 CTSW, new in December 2007, to replace it. Have never looked back, travel more and further in the CT than I ever did in my 182, prefer to fly the CT (sports car versus an SUV)...in other words...I don't miss the 182 nor its 13 gph 100LL fuel burn, maintenance cost, and narrower cockpit. Every plane is a trade off in terms of capabilities. For me the CT is the perfect combination of cost, efficiency, range, payload, comfort, and dependability for almost all of MY "mission requirements". Now, if I ever hit the big win in the lottery there will be other planes in the stable in addition... :D Kinda' like ammo...one can never have too many airplanes (provided one can afford to support them!) :blink:

Archived