912i Why full rich only beyond 92% throttle?

Ed Cesnalis

When flying behind a Lycoming, Continental or others the pilot is permitted to lean for economy and performance right up to the service ceiling where you are of course at WOT.

Rotax carb engines require full rich at WOT and I thought this is a compromise. Leaning via a diaphram under the needle only leans when the needle jet circuit has control. The crudeness of this system is understandable.

Why does the 912i mimic this curve and force full rich upon us when we don't want or need it, namely at high altitude and throttle settings above 92% throttle? 912s especially with fixed props are already quite limited in available power at altitude, why make it worse by motivating the pilot to throttle back even when available power falls below 75%?

The curves on a lot of engines go wicked rich at or near WOT, it's a way to protect against detonation when the engine is most vulnerable to it. Probably never a problem for you, but WOT at sea level on a hot day could put you close to a detonation event if things get too lean.

But there seems no reason why, especially for a computer controlled engine that should have knock sensors anyway, they don't allow safe WOT leaning at altitude.

It's like Andy said. It's for protection and not trying to squeak every ounce of power out. Just like a two stroke is setup. Full power gets more fuel for protection.

That sucks for mountain flying. The 914 needs an adjustable prop but even without is better than a 912 that insists on full rich

Archived