Starting Load

Jim Meade

What is the voltage drop or current or whatever measure one uses to assess the capabilities of a starting circuit in a 912?

My specific reason for asking is I wonder if my electrical system is marginal for that aspect and thus drops the flaps display readout when the starter is engaged. When recycled after the engine starts, the flaps display is fine.

But my question is not on the flap display - we addressed that in a different thread. My question is as posted above.

TIA

The starter is a 75Amp rated motor. At that current, the battery and wire losses will take you down to 10V easily and with a poor battery connection or poor battery, way down below 6V which could upset the flap control board. You can monitor it though the cigarette lighter port if you have a DMM that can latch min/max values to catch the faster excursions or better, an oscilloscope.

I doubt if my DMM will latch, but I can check. One is a good Fluke but I didn't buy it with that in mind. I have an old Heathkit oscilloscope but it hasn't been turned on in 15 years. :)

OK, thanks for the primer. That will definitely help me get started at trouble shooting it.

I'm taking my plane down for extensive maintenance this winter and had planned a new or different or additional battery then, so I'll think about this in the meantime.

Archived