Turbulent Cruise Strategies?

207WF

I had a lot of time to think about cruising in turbulent air in the CT this month. Since our birds have such a low wing loading, I was often bouncing along while the centurions and cirri above me were having a much smoother ride. So, what strategies do you have for cruising in turbulence?

I have the autopilot with altitude hold. Using that, the nose rises and falls a lot in turbulence to hold assigned altitude. I used to jockey the throttle to hold my desired rpm during this process. Now, I let the rpms change within limits before I touch the throttle. Obviously, I reduce power before hitting redline or five minutes in the yellow in an updraft. In a downdraft I let it get as slow as 70 knots, then I add full throttle until rpms increase to above my target cruise rpm. If it gets as slow as 60 knots I kick the autopilot off and lower the nose, accepting the descent. I also shut the autopilot off when the ups and downs get too annoying, letting the altitude drift a bit up and down to even out the rpm variations.

WF

The lack of answers says it all... there doesn't seem to be an answer!

Traditional smarts says slow down a bit, but that doesn't change things much... 'just makes the bumps "slower"! I've also heard that "going with the flow" is helpful- just keep the attitude and don't worry about the altitude.

Personally, I do everything I can to avoid flying in bumpy weather... mostly by flying early. It can be brutal down here in hot Southwest. The "round-the-world" Swiss guys mentioned the worst part of their flight was the section through the Southwest.

Tim

Flying with an occasionnal passenger, I try to limit turbulent flying.

Alone, with full fuel and luguage, my CT can take 8g+ loading....not me..

so I just 'stay in the green' and if I get tired of bouncing ..I land

anyway,,,turbulence seems to make the P stop comes faster

Not a lot you can do, around the SW the best thing to do is fly early, or late and fly high. If there are fair weather cumulus, if you can get above them it will be much smoother. They tell you where the rising air stops. Same is true with a haze layer, things smooth out usually once your above it. Take a look at the winds aloft forecast as well, if there is a major change in direction in a short span of altitude, that area of windshear could be a little rough. Also high winds aloft over mountains generate a great rollercoaster ride!

When your in turbulance make sure to slow down below manuevering speed, that will ensure you will not overstress the G-load of the CT. Flaps should be at -6 so the wing thinks it has a higher loading and helps the ride a bit.

Not a lot you can do, ... fly high...

when i saw you depart mammoth you looked like you were climbing for the moon. :P on that departure i'm good with pattern atltitude becase the terrain falls 3,000'.

earlier this year i experienced 40 min of moderate to severe turbulence in my ctsw. i focused on steering clear of debris (columns of debris were 7,000' high) and i tried to maintain a level pitch attitude. i couldn't depart the turbulent valley (owens valley) even though i would climb at 3,000fpm as soon as i got to 10,500 i would hit the rotor and get upset. i couldn't land due to lack of control near the ground.

the ctsw held up a lot better then i did, i hurt my neck and back.

even in light to moderate, since i seldom talk to atc i focus more on a level pitch attitude then maintaining altitude. sometimes the lift and sink can be dramatic but not turbulent and in those cases trying to maintain altitude makes the trip less comfortable.

Archived