Really, Flight Design?

FlyingMonkey

When changing my tires a few weeks ago, I noticed the wheel attach bolts (the flat bolts that the fairing standoff attaches too) were pretty torn up from somebody wrenching on them. It was almost to the point that I could not get a wrench on them enough to turn them. So I need to replace them.

Called FD today and ordered a new pair. $35.11. EACH. For a pretty unremarkable (and clearly, soft metal) bolt.

Come on, really?!? :angry:

No, I'm actually taking about the wheel bolts that screw into the Marc axles and hold the wheel on. The fairing standoffs screw into that bolt. It's a pretty short bolt with a round flat head with two flats in to get a wrench on it to remove the wheel. Part number is KA4020503.

Though I could use a couple spares of the allen screws that hold the wheel pants on...is there a source for those other than FD?

They seem to be really soft Roger, and somewhere back up the line somebody got a wrench half on them or at an odd angle and just FUBARed them. I might be able to fix them, but I don't want to reduce the contact surface area of the head too much, and they need a LOT of work.

But back to my original point... $35. EACH. COME ON! ;)

My 2006 CTsw with factory wheels has them. There is one on each side. The are in the exact center of the wheel. They hold the wheel onto the axle.

I agree with Tom. This is not a standard bolt stocked by fastener suppliers. Unlike most hardware, it is a custom part made only for this application. So, it requires low production specialty machining.

I hate expensive airplane parts as much as the next owner, but, this is no common bolt.

Archived