I have to move my OAT sensor

FlyingMonkey

I have noticed that my OAT seems to always read at or very close to 89, even in obviously cooler air. The sensor is mounted on the underside of the airplane, and I started to suspect hot exhaust and cowl waste air were corrupting the readings.

Today I did a test. In cruise the sensor was reading (shocker) 89 degrees. When I pulled power to idle, within 20-30 seconds the temperature reported by the sensor had decreased by five degrees at the same altitude. Theory confirmed!

So I need to relocate the sensor, but how and where? My instructor's plane has it mounted through one of the plexiglass wing inspection panels, which seems a pretty good place. Is there a better place and can I do this easily, and is there an easy way to thread some kind of cap or plug into the old sensor hole to seal it off?

The OAT on the bottom of the plane was installed after it came to the US. FD mounts them on the bottom of the left wing in the clear inspection port half way down the wing. I have changed 2 of these that some mechanic put on the bottom and they both read high and I have heard of others this way. It was a very poor choice, but I doubt they knew. The bottom gets the exhaust. There is a place that you can mount this within reach of the wires and it also has to be in the shade. It is up under (for shade) and by the flap on the fuselage. Just drill a hole and mount it in. You can buy a nice white plastic plug at Ace Aviation to put in the old hole. I doubt you'll need an LOA and it didn't have one to start. It's just a relocation, but you can call them and double check.

If you need help give me a call.

Call me a wimp, but I think I'd rather move it to the inspection plate, even if I have to run new/longer wires..."just drill a hole in your fuselage" makes me a little nervous! Is there an easy way to run the wires from the Dynon to the inspection plate? It does not seem like there is a convenient and out of sight way to run those wires considering you have to get from the mushroom up into the wing...

BTW I will call FD before doing anything.

Hi Andy,

You would have to get extensions and try and run the wire down through the wing. (It isn't that easy) That's a bigger challenge than you think. Putting a small hole where I mentioned is no big deal and won't hurt or cause any problems and it's a 100% easier than trying to run new wire down the wing. Going into and through the wing may be a bigger bite than you want to take. It can be done, but the other way works just as well and you'll never know the difference.

Thanks Roger, I'll probably call you about this to get the exact spot you are talking about. I figured running that wire through the wing would be a PITA, and I'm not even sure how to get it from the mushroom to the wing; I don't know if there is an easy run to the baggage bay under the floor or through the door sill to the baggage bay and then up from there. In any event you'd need a good fish tape or something similar to get it through.

Call me a wimp, but I think I'd rather move it to the inspection plate, even if I have to run new/longer wires..."just drill a hole in your fuselage" makes me a little nervous! Is there an easy way to run the wires from the Dynon to the inspection plate? It does not seem like there is a convenient and out of sight way to run those wires considering you have to get from the mushroom up into the wing...

BTW I will call FD before doing anything.

No problem! If the new hole starts developing cracks, just stop drill them. Joking.

Seriously, I moved mine like Roger said. No problems and now the OAT works properly .

Hi Andy,

All the ones I have re-routed had plenty of wire. Bring it up through the baggage compartment then up along side the opening behind the rear of the seat and on up to your drill spot.

I don't have a picture of this location. If anyone does have a picture of this please post it for Andy. It would be up under the flap on the fuselage.

Where do the position light wires run? Is that route available?

I think the problem with wing mounting is getting into the wing. From what I can tell, there is a bundle of wires going into each wing, but is inside a sleeve and then epoxy/painted over. One could maybe drill a hole alongside this, but they'd be drilling blind with no guarantee not to hit something important on the other side. The best way to relocate into the wing would be if the wings were removed.

Flight Design USA said they think FD Germany will require a MRA (Major Repair or Alteration) authorization to move the OAT to the fuselage in the wing armpit spot, since it's a non-standard location. That being the case, I think I will just wait until the next time the wings have to come off and relocate the OAT sensor to the wing inspection panel at that time. Or if I get bored one day I'll see if I can thread something through the wing to where I can get to it in the fuselage. Not a big deal since it's just for true airspeed and wind indications on the Dynon, which are more just for additional info or curiosity than a requirement for safe operation.

Then I would ask FD why all the dealers never sent in a alteration form when all the OAT's were mounted in various locations on the bottom of the plane. I have seen more than a dozen in just my shop so I don't have any idea how many are really out there. That would mean a lot of CT's would have to send in forms now. That may keep them busy for a while since they were mounted all over the place. Dynon just says out of the way from heat producing items i.e. exhaust and in the shade not in the sun.

Then I would ask FD why all the dealers never sent in a alteration form when all the OAT's were mounted in various locations on the bottom of the plane. I have seen more than a dozen in just my shop so I don't have any idea how many are really out there. That would mean a lot of CT's would have to send in forms now. That may keep them busy for a while since they were mounted all over the place. Dynon just says out of the way from heat producing items i.e. exhaust and in the shade not in the sun.

And not in the propwash

Archived