Removing paint contamination from my windshield and plane

wlfpckrs

Pulling his plane outside his hangar (and mine) seemed like a good idea when my neighbor in the next hangar decided to spray paint his plane and, in turn, mine. There is a fine mist on my plane and, more noticeably, on my windshield. Any good ideas on how to remove it without damaging the plexi and surface?

Mineral spirits might take it off the plexi without damage, make sure to use a soft micro fiber and dont push to hard. Check it on a small area first just to make sure! I used it on my Comanche windsheild after a similar incident. A good wax/compound like Haze Glaze and elbow grease should take care of the painted surfaces.

To remove some over spray I would bet a very light rubbing compound on the fuselage or just a good washing with a rerry cloth rag and a good glass polish on the windshield. Followed by some wax. I lot of time over spray will come off with a good washing because it doesn't stick very well to the slick surface, but you won't really know until you try. I think the guy who did the painting ought to be there too and help. Anyone spray painting should know how paint travels through the air.I would try the least abrasive first. Some guys just painted our house and got some over psray on my Honda Goldwing. It rubbed right off with a wet rag.

On our windshield, the following didn't work: (1) Our airplane's concentrated spray cleaner, (2) Plexi cleaner/polish, (3) mineral spirits. It was two full days before I found out about the incident, so the paint apparently had a chance to cure.

I called a body shop, and they gave me a couple recommendations - a product called SuperSolv that they use on headlamps and 3M's Step 3. So far, it looks like I'm making some progress, though pretty tedious work, with the Super Solv.

Hi Wlfpckrs,

Try using something a little more aggressive, but not damaging like an electric buffer with some windshield polish. I would bet a windshield polish like T-210 with an electric polisher would take care of the job. Use a foam pad first then finish with the terry cloth or sheep skin last using the polish. Then wipe it down with the normal Plexiglas glass cleaner.

Archived