What I learned after my first LSRM course session

coppercity

I spent the end of last week in the first of four sessions of the Rainbow Aviation Light Sport Repairman course. Here are a few of my first reactions!

1. I learned that I really didn't know much about Light Sport Regulations at all, especially related to maintenance, service and repair.

2. I'm really glad I choose an LSA that has great customer support and will be in it for the long haul, Thanks Flight Design!

3. I have a new appreciation for my mechanics, its not as easy as it looks, and I have the safety wire holes in my hands to prove it, Thanks Roger!

4. The Carpenters are great instructors and a great source of information, looking forward to the next session in Oct.

• 2 months later...

How did the second session go? Curious to know what your background was prior to taking the course (i.e., your experience level as a mechanic). God knows we need lots more Roger Lee's around the country! I am an Electrical Engineer (long time ago, first career), a licensed general contractor (long time ago during my first career I used to be my own General Contractor on my home building projects), I'm an Amateur Radio Operator (lots of electronics background) but It's been years since I have done any engine work (auto shop in high school, used to do engine work on my own cars etc)... So Im curious to know if the course is geared toward experienced mechanics or also works for those who have just a decent mechanical / electrical aptitude and an ability to learn?

Hi Adam,

The second session went great. The course is a good mix of classroom and hands on work in the shop. It can be a little fast paced, but the Carpenters don't mind you stopping things to get a clear understanding. I think it is a great course to take even if you don't have much experience in maintenance. I have very little experience other than preventive maintenance on my old Comanche. Now I don't think I would go right out and start tearing planes apart after I finish the course, but it will at least be a license to learn and over time I will build the experience and confidence to tackle some more in depth tasks. Sounds like you have a strong background already so I'm sure you would have more confidence in your ability then I do in myself at the moment.

Next session for me starts next week, so I will let you know how it goes.

Adam,

My previous experience is similar to Eric's. Did PM on my previous spam cans, worked on my junkers in high school and college, etc. I now have the training and license to do pretty much what I want to my plane and others. But, I won't because I know my limitations. Sure, I do my annuals and put my Matco brakes on. Roger knows when I am working on my plane because his phone rings since I sometimes need my hand held. But, I know when to seek help. For instance, I have the Rotax certification to pull my cylinders and rebuild them. Again, I won't. What I would do is pull them and send them to a shop that is equiped and does this kind of work frequently. Then put them back on.

So, I enjoy it and have a license to learn. Kind of like having a new PP rating. If you are so inclined, go for it. If nothing else you will understand your plane better. And, if you are like me and don't really like others messing with your stuff, you can solve much of that problem. Now, if I have a scratch in my cowl from a slipping screwdriver, I know who to blame. But, you can bet I don't have much of that.

As far as the training goes, the Carpenters are great!

• 6 years later...

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I live in Wilmington, NC and would like to take an LSRM course that allowes me to do condition inspections. Alass I can not find course being offered. I have worked many years with repair shops under their licenses. I will travel if need be. Again thanks for suggestions.

Oliver

Archived