GoPro Hero 3 Question

EminiTrader

Hey guys - finally a moment to open up my gopro hero and start messing with it.

Quick question - whats the best setting for videos? It has 4K /1440/1080/720... Also with 64Gig SD - how much video recording will I get on say 4K?

Doing crosscountry tomorrow so want to record my landings - figured you guys needed a good laugh, and my landings, I am sure will accomplish that :)

The answer to that question depends mainly on what you plan to do with the video. 720 is fine for Youtube or other online use. The 4k does nothing for you unless you have one of the new, rare, TVs that use it and it burns through SD cards very rapidly.

Again depending on use, battery life may be a concern. Having the Wi-Fi on shortens battery life. I use it to set up the installation (with the app) and then turn it off if I am going to use it for a trip. I then start the video with the button.

Do you have a prop filter?

On my Silver, I have to choose 1080p in order to play with anything other than wide angle.

Otherwise, 720p at 30fps is fine for everyday use.

60 fps or faster mainly improves slow motion effects.

Have fun, but try not to get TOO distracted!

@FastEddie: THanks, I won't. I am going to get there 40 minutes early. Do my preflight and then get my camera setup. Sneaking my Ipad Mini too as a back up :) Will have my chart (paper) But he told me "Use all available resources you have" so Ipad/Foreflight going with :)

Been working on this God forsaken nav-log for 2 hours now :(

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys - finally a moment to open up my gopro hero and start messing with it.

Quick question - whats the best setting for videos? It has 4K /1440/1080/720... Also with 64Gig SD - how much video recording will I get on say 4K?

Doing crosscountry tomorrow so want to record my landings - figured you guys needed a good laugh, and my landings, I am sure will accomplish that :)

I have a Go Pro Silver, and I prefer 1080i 30 fps. I get the best picture quality with these settings, to the point I can read the data on the instrument panel.

Cheers

WEll yaeh the battery life on this thing, and the little remote suck :) NO better way to say it... I bought 2 spare batteries though but havent tried to swap them out in flight yet :)

There is something you can do about the battery, if you are taking video from inside the cockpit. Get one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-iCarrier-Smartphones-Micro-USB/dp/B003ZBZ64Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1382708414&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+battery+pack

It is a USB battery pack with one 2A and one 1A USB output. Put the camera charging cable in the 2A slot and the remote cable in the 1A slot. It will make for a lot of wires in the cockpit, but if you arrange it right is solves a lot of the problems. I have one of these and have used it with the remote (which is always the first thing that dies for me) with great success. I will try powering the camera and remote at the same time this weekend.

This might even work for outside the cockpit shots, but you'd have to rig up some way for the battery pack to be mounted near the camera.

I have a GoPro 3 Silver, set up at 1080 - 24, custom built filter (copied off internet from someone else's need for eliminating prop blur) (30- 58mm) housing with the necessary Tiffen filters. Mounting bracket is Delkin Fat Gecko Fat Mini which I paid $24.00 from Walmart online. Also bought GoPro tripod mount for $5.00 to connect GoPro to Delkin Mount. The Delkin mount gives more flexibility than the GoPro mount, which I also have.

I purchased a side openings protective housing case for Gopro HD Hero 3 which is an open side with no lens glass housing also from Amazon. The housing is not waterproof. Camera, or rather the battery will get hot, really hot. The housing helps greatly. I only use this inside the cockpit.

Regarding battery life I am using an Anker external battery with connection through the side of the GoPro housing. With a 64G card I am getting better than 6 hours of recording time. Two 3 hour legs without turing off or changing anything.

This setup is being used for both our LSA and Trinidad (TB20) airplanes.

I use an Ipad mini to monitor what is going on in the recording end of the GoPro, as well as running ForeFlight. The Anker is also plugged into the Ipad mini, so it is always charged.

Remember the saying "The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys".

There is something you can do about the battery, if you are taking video from inside the cockpit. Get one of these:

http://www.amazon.co...sb battery pack

It is a USB battery pack with one 2A and one 1A USB output. Put the camera charging cable in the 2A slot and the remote cable in the 1A slot. It will make for a lot of wires in the cockpit, but if you arrange it right is solves a lot of the problems. I have one of these and have used it with the remote (which is always the first thing that dies for me) with great success. I will try powering the camera and remote at the same time this weekend.

This might even work for outside the cockpit shots, but you'd have to rig up some way for the battery pack to be mounted near the camera.

FUnny thing is - I already own 2 Anker battery packs.. Never thought about this - :) Thanks again Andy!

Archived