SB for Crank shaft Journal inspection

Rich

I just spoke with Lockwood and they have the part in to test this. They are renting them out @ $15. They charge your credit card for the full value of the gauge (around $100 (I forgot to write down the exact amount)) and then credit back everything but $15 when it is returned. They said they would like to get them back within a week or so.

I heard there was a secret society here so I thought I would share a secret.

When Rotax worked on identifying the crank shaft problem they also had to do safety test. They ran an engine with a cut crankshaft which is even a wider gap than a cracked or broken one for 500 hrs. without any issues. Then they took 1/5 of that time and made that the inspection to be done no later by time limit. Remember this includes certified engines too so they had to make the regulatory agencies happy. So if you have a crank break where the SB states then you shouldn't ever really know until you actually do the inspection listed in the SB with the new tool. Something else that may need some correcting, If I'm not mistaken the tool is supposed to be free to the affected engine owners and Rotax authorized and certified maint. facilities. I think this has been mis-communicated with some suppliers.That also means you would need to be a current IRC and be up to date with your schooling.

If you have a broken crank Rotax will pay to fix it including shipping. Any extra work you wanted done at that time of course would be extra.

I hope this makes some feel better about not falling out of the sky and that Rotax has always tried to be proactive and not like most MFG's and only re-active when forced.

My engine was affected. I rented the tool from Lockwood for $15.00. I didn't want to wait. $15 is cheap peace of mind to me. Now that the initial is good I'm more comfortable with the 100 hr/annual inspection.

I assume that my engine registration would trigger the shipment of the tool, or do I need to do something to make it happen?

Just an FYI so people don't panic.

Rotax cut a shaft where they could break and ran that engine for 500 hrs. without any issues. The cut shaft has a wider kerf or space where it could break.

This isn't common knowledge, but I wanted to re-assure some that they aren't going to fall out of the sky.

p.s.

If you have one of the affected engines or you are an authorized and current IRC the tool is free.

You need to call them and have your engine info in hand.

Roger,

I couldn't find a phone number for Rotax, so I sent them an email. Their website said 2-3 business days, but I'm going on 5 business days, but so far no reply.

You wouldn't happen to have a phone number and POC handy would you?

Dan,

I called Lockwood when we first spoke about this a while back. I believe you did as well.

You should be on their list to have a tool shipped. I'd give them another call to be sure you're on that list.

They will distribute the tool in the order that they received the inquire.

They are receiving the tool in dribs and drabs.

Rich

You're supposed to call your closest distributor. i.e. Lockwood, CPS or Leading Edge

Thanks Roger (and Rich), but someone needs to tell Lockwood this. They are currently renting the tool out at $15 per use. They charge your credit card $93 plus $6 for shipping (total $99). They are supposed to credit back $78 when returned. I received the tool on 11/8, had the test done on 11/11 and put it in the mail on 11/12.

There was never any mention of providing it at no cost.

I'll call them again.

Just spoke with Lockwood. They said they only have about 10 of these tools and Rotax charged them for these, so they decided to set up this rental program to get them out to those that wanted to perform the test.

They said that eventually, I should be getting one from the distributor of my aircraft as Rotax will provide the gauges to the OEM of the aircraft for them to distribute.

Archived