Right rudder on landings

Ed Cesnalis

So see we agree because how can you tell the other guy he is wrong for keeping his plane straight because the debater does exactly the same thing. They use what ever and as much peddle as needed. So the very first post isn't very representative.

I only agree that it is the pilot, that means I do not agree.

Left seated pilots tend to land left for a reason, judgment error from the left seat creates a bias to land on that side. Take away the cowling like in a CT and the bias is worse, not that you want to land farther left but more like left of centerline and pointed left so at the very end right rudder becomes a pretty good fix and when that nose settles its likely cocked left.

Consider that you guys mostly land fast and don't have your sticks full aft, this means your planes when landing aren't about to stall. Add to that the relative wind direction assuming an upwind landing varies 180 degrees, the plane doesn't know the runway heading on the pilot does that makes it hard to see a trigger mechanism for a left yaw and a need for right rudder.

You can see my feet in this video, as I am landing I see small left and right inputs, I don't see right rudder like on a take off.

Hmm...My airplane seems to want to go left also when the nose wheel is down, but I thought it was just me. I have definitely noticed that this tendency is reduced or eliminated by holding off the nose wheel as long as possible. I wonder if there is some instability or torque effect that creeps in at higher speed with the nose wheel that disappears below some threshold speed...

BTW my airplane taxis dead straight.

Andy,

What is happening is that the sight picture causes you to struggle to overcome the tendency to land left and with the nose swung to the left, leaving your nose wheel pointed a bit left. If you hold the plane off or even just hold the nose off your feet maintain direction for another bit of time and you finally settle a bit more aligned and a bit slower and the result is you go more strait.

wonder if there is some instability or torque effect that creeps in at higher speed with the nose wheel that disappears below some threshold speed...

I thought the same thing but resisted posting it so as not to be seen as a "One Note Sally".

But, do pilots who "fly on" their CT's notice the need for rudder more than pilots who attempt slower touchdowns?

Inquiring minds want to know.

As far as visual cues from the cockpit of my Sky Arrow, I don't consciously use any. I think I've developed an almost kinesthetic sense of when I am aligned with the runway, not relying on other cues. Or I'm doing it subconsciously - I don't know (by definition!)

Andy,

What is happening is that the sight picture causes you to struggle to overcome the tendency to land left and with the nose swung to the left, leaving your nose wheel pointed a bit left. If you hold the plane off or even just hold the nose off your feet maintain direction for another bit of time and you finally settle a bit more aligned and a bit slower and the result is you go more strait.

I totally buy this. Dropping the nose too fast is something I have struggled with, and I can definitely see a slight misalignment with the runway having me going left without realizing it until the nose wheel on the centerline makes it apparent. When I hold the nose wheel off as I should, I almost always track straight when the nose comes down. When I don't, it's 50/50.

I thought the same thing but resisted posting it so as not to be seen as a "One Note Sally".

But, do pilots who "fly on" their CT's notice the need for rudder more than pilots who attempt slower touchdowns?

Inquiring minds want to know.

As far as visual cues from the cockpit of my Sky Arrow, I don't consciously use any. I think I've developed an almost kinesthetic sense of when I am aligned with the runway, not relying on other cues. Or I'm doing it subconsciously - I don't know (by definition!)

Speaking for myself,

If I fly it on and allow the nose wheel to settle I will end up pressuring my right pedal for a while as I brake much like on a take off. If I hold it off as long as i can my controls get mushy and my nose wanders a little but I don't have to use a lot of right foot to make it go strait. I might even need left.

I just cam across a post from years ago where Roger is explaining that drift prior to touch down is from rudder trim.

CTs after 2005 have 3-axis trim and they can and should be trimmed just right. I think its hard to blame flaperon or rudder trim for any flying difficulties, these are overcome without thought. Pitch trim is easily overcome but if I am out of trim I know it and have to 'fight' it.

If you don't fly mostly hands off, remember to take your hands and feet off to see how you are trimmed if trim is possibly hindering instead of aiding your flying.

I wonder if Eddie's Sky Arrow has the same problem? It seems there's not much structure to see out of that airplane either.

Well, based on this screen capture from that spot landing contest, I think we'll agree on one of the benefits of tandem seating:

10475998873_afbef6e035_o.jpg

Pretty clear when things are all lined up - wouldn't you say?

Archived