CT pilots are superior, here's why

Ed Cesnalis

Cessnas connect aileron and rudder together making the yoke movement a work-saver, but makes one less of a pilot. LSAs require real stick and rudder, independent skill that once mastered make that pilot the real deal. Able to fly taildraggers, or just about anything that flys. Remember, Cessna guys losing their medical and looking to become LSA flyers have to take transition training because they don't have the skill to fly truly independent stick and rudder.

I am so humbled, our authority on aviation called me out as the fool who believes that CTs have flaperons, [ so embarrassed ]

I should take my inferior assertions and go shopping for a Cessna Ercoupe and be thankful that its light sport compliant. Until then the bungees from my stick to pedals should do the trick.

There was a time, early on, when I thought I was a sh%# hot stick. Then I had a few humbling experiences, the kind where you don't bend anything but make you realize that you aren't quit as good as you thought. Some, unfortunately, are slow learners. NTSB has a full file on those.

I am so humbled, our authority on aviation called me out as the fool who believes that CTs have flaperons, [ so embarrassed ]

I should take my inferior assertions and go shopping for a Cessna Ercoupe and be thankful that its light sport compliant. Until then the bungees from my stick to pedals should do the trick.

And shave your head. :D

I remember Carl Sagan talking about a book called Chariot's of the Gods that asserted that all the mysteries on earth were created by Allen visitations to earth. He said the book contained "more logical errors per inch" than anything he had read.

Not sure about the logical part of this, but I think there's is one person on our forum that has surpassed the errors per inch parameter.

Doug, you've nailed it. I no longer receive certain posts here on our forum but I do get 99.9% of the rest. Would recommend that others do the same and just move on with important matters being discussed on CT's and the art of flying. There will always be those who do what I would call a "Miley Cyrus verbal twerking" - getting the attention they crave by assuaulting one's sense of good logic and fairness by blurting out confrontational, rude and nonsensical statements. I bet some people must be a real joy to live with on a daily basis..........life's too short.

Pilots can be an opinionated bunch. If you doubt that, go hang out on the Pilots of America site (which I just discovered) a little while.

But usually pilot's strongly held opinions are based on years of personal experience. Still, even a 10,000+ airline pilot can learn, sometimes even from a novice pilot.

But I think we expect, or at least hope, that new pilots might approach their new field with what's called "Beginner's Mind" in zen:

Shoshin (初心) is a concept in Zen Buddhism meaning "beginner's mind". It refers to having an attitude of openness, eagerness, and lack of preconceptions when studying a subject, even when studying at an advanced level, just as a beginner in that subject would.

And so, we find it jarring when a real beginner manifests signs of a closed mind and seems to come to the table burdened with preconceptions.

This mindset can set off alarms for an instructor, who is more used to seeing a wide-eyed and innocent acceptance of nearly all things aviation from newbies. It's often that innocence that leads to questions that can lead to learning - and not just for the student!

And its not like we don't have recent experience, where a very similar mindset led to an accident very soon after getting certified.

Let me just close with...

It's bad enough to criticize and degrade and make fun of other pilot's choices in planes. It's quite another to start to attack them personally, mocking the situation they find themselves in where they are flying sans medical.

There but for the grace of God...

"But usually pilot's strongly held opinions are based on years of personal experience. Still, even a 10,000+ airline pilot can learn, sometimes even from a novice pilot."

And a good pilot "knows what they don't know". Case in point. A friend is one of those 10,000 hr ATP and before that flew A-10s. He wanted to start flying light aircraft for fun and I took him up in my Sting. He was pretty much non-stop questions on every aspect of the plane and flying characteristics. He enjoyed the flight so much that he started renting a 172 on a regular basis. A few days ago, he reached out to me to set up some time to understand how I plan and execute cross countries. This from someone who is a much more experienced and better pilot than I'll ever be.

We have some highly experienced pilots and CFI's here.

I count myself as one.

And yet the very best words I can possibly type are "Thanks - I did not know that!" or "I stand corrected".

I remember specifically landing with a student on runway 27L at Opa Locka. He asked the tower if he could exit onto runway 36R. They granted permission, but I explained to him how inactive runways become de facto taxiways and he really did not have to ask permission. He said he thought I was wrong, and I said, fine, show me.

After taxiing in he showed me in the AIM that he was right and I was wrong. Specifically:

4-3-18. Taxiing

4. A clearance must be obtained prior to taxiing on a runway, taking off, or landing during the hours an Airport Traffic Control Tower is in operation.

I learned something that day that benefits me to the present moment.

And looking up the airport diagram for Opa Locka, I learned something today: lots of the runways we used back in the day are gone - 9C/27C, 18L/36R and 18R/36L.

00256AD.jpg

Farewell old friends.

Hopefully quick aside - Eddie, if an AF/D said that the parallel runway became a taxiway would that relieve one of the responsibility of a request? (seems to me I saw thisin an AF/D entry recently.)

--Eddie, I appreciate the words of wisdom and I have honestly tried to not respond. I am a low time pilot, but I have been a high time student through books, magazines, and webinars through the past two years. I have owned my CTLS for a little over a year. I have taken the 120 hour LSRM-A course and the additional Rotax maintenance course.

In addition I have been a student of aviation history and an R/C pilot for decades (surprisingly, many things translate).

I do not think any of that makes me an expert! It does help me recognize certain absolute errors. I have set this person to " ignore" but I see nearly everything through all the quotes, so it is not particularly effective.

To be honest, I fear for his safety. He has already made one nearly tragic miscalculation and does not seem to be willing to listen to anyone's advice. I am convinced that if he does have an accident he will blame the plane and FD.

I am also concluding that it is no longer worth the effort.

Archived