Firewalls

FlyingMonkey

I happened to notice yesterday that on the upper right side of my firewall there is a wire pass through hole where a large bundle of wires goes through (I think it's all the engine instrumentation wiring). The problem is the hole is as big as the length of my thumb and there is plenty of open space there. Seeing as the purpose of the firewall is to provide a gas-tight wall between the passengers and engine fumes, fires, etc, this seems...suboptimal.

Should I get a tube of firewall sealant (IIRC Dow makes some amazing stuff that is rated for 2000°F for 20 minutes, but is $80 for 6oz) and seal this and any other holes I find? Is there some other procedure recommended by FD for these kinds of issues?

Andy,

We just used some permatex high temp sealant two days ago (red in color) to re-seal an opening where the brake line went through the fire wall.

The high temp permatex was the original seal that the dealer used for this purpose. It cost about $9 per tube at any auto parts store.

Rich

Morden,

The area you refer to is indeed the primary wire bundle. is it as big around as your thumb, or is it some big oval shape (long as your thumb, as you said)?

Also, putting very high temp stuff there is a waste. Epoxy turns soft after a couple hundred degrees Fahrenheit, and mush after that. If that high temp stuff melts, your engine has already fallen off.

The fire sleeve around the wires should go into the hole. If need be work it in with a screwdriver. Then use the RTV to seal the fire sleeve in place on the fire wall.

p.s.

If you have the black plastic instead of the fire sleeve that to should go into the hole and be sealed.

If the fire sleeve is too short to go back in the hole, can I take another piece of sleeve, cut it, and wrap it around the remaining section of wires and put that through the hole, securing with wire or cable ties and RTV on the joint? Or will I need to pull the old sleeve off and put a new longer sleeve on?

There only needs to be the fire sleeve in the hole. Any thing on the engine side doesn't matter for length. Most fire sleeve conduits go up to the air intake between cyl. 1&3. You could do it your way if you wanted, but I haven'r seen one that it was necessary to do it to.

There only needs to be the fire sleeve in the hole. Any thing on the engine side doesn't matter for length. Most fire sleeve conduits go up to the air intake between cyl. 1&3. You could do it your way if you wanted, but I haven'r seen one that it was necessary to do it to.

Cool, I'll just move the sleeve up on the wire bundle until it fits through the hole. Thanks for the help!

Archived