What do I use to seal my fuel tank bulkhead plate?

Roger Lee

Posted on another forum by OZ.

Oz Airangel user-offline.png

Fuel tank sealant and sight tube material

Have just removed the wings on my 2006 ctsw for inspection on fuel filters and replacement of fuel level sight tubes.

Would appreciate advice on what the best gasket compound is used for resealing the tank inspection ports and what are people using for the replacement sight tubes.

The gasket compound specified in the manual is not known in Australia.

My original sight tubes have discolored to be useless, the material is still very soft and pliable and I am concerned that the easily obtainable poly tube, which is rather stiff will become very brittle within a short time.

Any experts out there on an excellent specification for sight tubes?

Hi Oz,

The answer is Hylomar Universal Blue gasket and joint sealing compound.

Use a film on the bulkhead plate and the gasket all the way around and both sides of the gasket. This stuff is very sticky so what ever you touch it is there until you use a little lacquer thinner to remove it. Let it flash or dry for a few minutes and assemble. Do not apply a glob as it will squish out and get into the fuel system and it will cause you headaches. You will have to flush the fuel system out, clean the fuel filter and carb bowls. You can buy this Hylomar on line from several sources as it is very common. I tube should be plenty for two wings.

As far as the site tubes I have tested 6 different types of clear poly tubing and called at least 4 tubing Mfg's. The Mfg's said all the tubing's will stain eventually with 91 auto gas because of the dye and they did. 100LL isn't a problem. So I use a standard poly tube and change them once a year. The ethanol at
our fuel concentration level
s do not seem to effact the tubing. This is after 4 years of using this tubing. The ethanol would cause an issue at very high levels, but not at our fuel levels. FD is trying a new tubing that is very expensive and only comes in 50' lengths and it will take a long time (at least a year) to get any good feedback on this tubing. I believe it will stain, too.

• 2 years later...

Roger - what is the latest advice for the fuel level sight tubes. The stuff I got from FD is useless in less than a year. All I find at Ace or TruValue is not fuel rated. Doesn't say not to, just doesn't say fuel rated like others, such as that yellow stuff, do.

Also, do I really have to pull the wings? Isn't there a "magic" tool? Pulling the wings is not the problem, although one pin is difficult. The problem is getting that one pin back in. I was hoping not to face that issue for another 18 months.

Hi John,

Give me a call and let's talk. It will be much easier. The clear thin wall poly 3/8" ID works just fine and has been for 7 years. Yes it does stain like all tubing, but just replace it at the wing inspection. It should cost you $1 for the tubing. The yellow Tygon tubing is the worst I have seen and not a single person likes it because the yellow dye mixed with a little fuel stain in a very short time makes it worthless for seeing a level, not to mention its quite expensive for a piece of tube.

Call me on my cell. I'm in Utah for two weeks. Take a look at my Spot link. :)

The stuff that Flight design has now is clear tygon. It is holding up OK compared to some of the other that they have offered in the past. It's what I have been using the last few planes I've done, and at 1 year you can still see the fuel level OK.

Hylomar just got more difficult to find. Permatex is no longer producing a Hylomar product and the only other place I have been able to find it is directly from Hylomar.

Roger - how thick a bead do you put on Roger? Do you put it on both surfaces?

You apply a thin coat to each surface and let it get slightly tacky (not dry). Do not glob it on and then dump in the fuel or you'll have the stuff floating all through the system and it will have to be cleaned out. It will cause the carbs a problem. Using Hylomar isn't a big deal just don't glob it on. It works extremely well in the fuel service. I have never had anything leak that I have used this on.

I did find Zoro in the US had it, a lot of the places on e-bay are in Europe, or the product is not the correct one. Permatex used to have a relatively small tube of the stuff at a reasonable price, but they no longer have a hylomar product - no idea what the story is, but it made it more difficult to find it on the shelf, or order it through a local auto or hardware store.

Archived