Need direction regarding aircraft and cockpit temperature

Tunny

This is long.

Right up front I am not flying or have not flown a CT in any form. That is the reason for this question.

History - I started out in 172's in the 60's, gave it up when babies started coming along. Even at $12.00 / hr flying, it was a bit pricey back then.

Started back a couple of years ago again flying. Currently flying both a Trinidad TB 20 and a Piper Sport. The TB 20 to go somewhere long, quick with a very stable IFR platform, while consuming 15 - 16 gals / hr, in air conditioned comfort. The Piper Sport for short, <250 mile fun trips, while burning 5 gals / hr, in a horribly hot (summer 95 - 100 F with 90 - 98 % RH) greenhouse. Lose on average 4 or 5 pounds each time I close the canopy. At the end of summer I should weight 98 pounds, but I don't.

This summer in the Piper Sport , the 696 shut down (missing software syndrome) 200 miles from home. After getting air borne using the Ipad Mini with Fore Flight, the Mini gave me the yellow temperature triangle and shut down. Fortunately there are still paper charts and VOR's. Upon landing, and wringing out my clothing I checked on the shut down temperature of the Ipad Mini, 113 degrees F, no more greenhouse for me. And yes the Sport does have the cloth sunshield, it is of some help.

This year I am determined not to go on a forced weight reduction program thru the heat method again. Now I am looking at high wing LSA's and trying to determine their degree of cockpit comfort regarding temperature in the summer months, and that is what brought me to this forum.

I see myself spending more time in LSA's as the operating cost is much less than what it cost for the larger aircraft

I am flying out of south Georgia and would like some input from someone who fly's in similiar conditions.

A good number of us fly in the hot Southwest and I haven't heard any complaints. The CT has good airflow, and you can block the overhead window if you feel it contributes to the heat. The doors open nicely when taxiing. Anything left on top of the panel is going to get cooked in any plane.

tim

Tunny -- I fly a bubble canopy LSA out of Dallas and, like every other plane I've flown, it gets toasty in the summer on the ground. Never have the issues you describe once airborne at 3k AGL. I do general leave in the mornings but have taken off in 100+ degrees. Yes, it's a sauna on the ground, but once at altitude (air temps were still in the mid 80s) temps were fine. How is airflow in your Sport Cruiser?

The only thing on the dash of the Piper Sport is a Dual GPS receiver when I pull out the Ipad Mini.

When taxing you keep the canopy unlocked and blocked open with your arm. Unfortunatly you can't do that when underway.

That model plane has two tiny and I mean tiny air scoops, we installed the "fix" which was even tinier scoops for the scoops.

I made my own cooler air conditioner, drilled an inlet hole for a 4 inch auto fan put a flexible 3 inch hose coming out the top to blow right on my face, it ain't

much help but its better than nothing, if i get to hot I reach in and grab a water. Look online for homemade air conditioners or you can buy one already made don't believe everything you read about them they do help. good luck.

That Piper Sport will be history shortly. I am tired on being put on a weight loss program in the summer. That is why I am looking at a high wing. We, to a degree, also have the same problem in the TB20. If it wern't for the AC it would also be sweltering.

I guess as we get older we get more acclimated to things like AC. In the house, car and airplane it makes life more bearable.

My idea of roughing it is rolling down the car windows at 70 MPH.

Archived