Dynon D-100 Autopilot MRA/LoA

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

The discussion on VFR into IMC reignited my interest in getting an autopilot installed on my CTSW. The least expensive route by far is to just buy the Dynon servos (SV32, SV423, or SV52) for ~$750 each and use them with the built-in autopilot feature of the D-100 many of us have installed.

I contacted FD USA and they said no fleet LoA exists for this setup. They pointed me to the MRA (Major Repair or Alteration) form on their website, and said if I submitted it to them they'd get the ball rolling with Germany to get a setup installed. Apparently FD GmbH will look over the MRA and decide what needs to be done to accommodate this installation and come up with installation instructions (assuming the approve it).

I'll keep you guys in the loop with how all this goes and can provide copies of everything that goes back and forth on this in case anybody else wants to try to get an LoA for this on their CT.

A fleet LOA does exist to upgrade a CT to Skyview from D100/120. I would think installing a complete skyview system (complete with servos and A/P) would be an easy approval (although higher priced). The Skyview system has much greater capability for inadvertent flight into IMC (synthetic vision, easy IFR template access blah blah blah) than the D100 (including a 180 degree button). If you are going to spend 3,000 to put an A/P into an SW with a D100, why not just shoot the moon and ask the wife for forgiveness later? (haha) In either event, I have gone the FD GMBH route for an MRA in the past that later became a fleet LOA, they are good to work with, just be patient its a slow (can be many months) process.

Yeah Adam, I'd love to do that, but I can't afford to do it for cash (unless I wait a year - a possibility) and I don't do anything on credit. I have a small note on the CTSW, and that is the only debt I have had at all in seven years and had to really talk myself into that. I can handle cash for two $750 servos plus the install costs. Most of my flying is local, so the AP would not get much use except when I take the odd long cross country trip a few times a year, or in case of emergency. For that purpose, the lower-priced D100 autopilot is suitable.

One A&P i talked to said that enough people are upgrading from 7" to 10" Skyview in LSA that he often can find the used 7" units for about half price. But of course then there are engine sensors, AHARS, compass, etc to add to that cost. It still comes out at $5000+ with the servos. It's possible, it will just take longer before I can justify that outlay.

BTW, FD USA is estimating a $200-300 "engineering charge" for FD GmbH to put together a solution. I'm guessing that's pretty standard for an LoA.

Andy,

The decision to install an autopilot will, I believe, pay off in the future. Smart move.

I would highly advise grabbing another pilot to act as a safety pilot and log some hood time. Make sure that you adhere to the FAR's when flying in this configuration. There was a good article on this in AOPA it is titled Pilot Counsel:Safety pilot.

Or you can do like I did and find one of these on Ebay.

post-456-0-70708400-1385050344_thumb.jpg

Andy, I think others who have tried to do the Dynon autopilot in an SW had problems with making things work out. You might want to search old post or maybe PM coppercity.

Do you know specifically what the difficulties were? FD USA said they thought servo mounting areas need to be reinforced. Are there program or calibration issues, or something else going on? Seems like if the Skyview AP works the D100 should also, they use the same servos.

. . . "The discussion on VFR into IMC reignited my interest in getting an autopilot installed on my CTSW. The least expensive route by far is to just buy the Dynon servos (SV32, SV423, or SV52) for ~$750 each and use them with the built-in autopilot feature of the D-100 many of us have installed.

I contacted FD USA and they said no fleet LoA exists for this setup. They pointed me to the MRA (Major Repair or Alteration) form on their website, and said if I submitted it to them they'd get the ball rolling with Germany to get a setup installed. Apparently FD GmbH will look over the MRA and decide what needs to be done to accommodate this installation and come up with installation instructions (assuming the approve it).

I'll keep you guys in the loop with how all this goes and can provide copies of everything that goes back and forth on this in case anybody else wants to try to get an LoA for this on their CT." . . .

All that is good Andy.

I am very interested in how Flight Design handles that and how difficult or cumbersome it is to get an upgrade approved. It will tell me a lot about the company and how they support issues as that with customers who have purchased used airplanes.

Curiously watching. :)

All that is good Andy.

I am very interested in how Flight Design handles that and how difficult or cumbersome it is to get an upgrade approved. It will tell me a lot about the company and how they support issues as that with customers who have purchased used airplanes.

Curiously watching. :)

I thought you decided to go a different direction...?

Archived