Need actual weight of CTLSi

Tunny

OK, pretty much made up my mind on an CTLSi but need to know the real empty weight on a fully loaded CTLSi.

The Piper Sport I am currently flying, loaded with every bell & whistle offered, has an empty weight of 866.8 pounds. Throw 2 180 #'s in there and we are weight limited to 16 gallons of fuel. That gives us 2 hours of actual flying time, provided there is no head wind, with reserve..

Thanks,

Tunny

Tunny, CTLS's come in around 815 to 835 lb. I'm going to guess the CTLSi is going to be close to this and maybe up to 860 lb. Current CTLSi owners indicate lower numbers but "worst case" say the CTLSi will burn 5 gph (or less?) @ full throttle120kt cruise and might even burn 4 gph (or less?) on 75% cruise. Assume weight is 860 lb. and 180 lb. pilot + passenger = 360 lb and 16 gallons of fuel = 96 lb. Total weight = 1316 lb. If you run full throttle and 120 kt you would have 2.5 hours with .5 hr. reserve. If @ 75%, then maybe 3.5 hours with .5 hr. reserve. Of course, you can swap less fuel for more load capacity or if you're flying alone, you can top off the 32 gallon tanks but don't forget to bring a pee bottle :-). Not many LSA's (if any?) can be found that offer this range and load carrying capability while providing 120 kt speed.

IIRC, the empty weight on CTLSi's airplane is 840lb, leaving 480lb useful. That would be two 180lb people and 20 gallons of fuel and zero baggage, or the same two people with ten gallons and 60lb baggage, or 15 gallons and 30lb bags. That last one would be the sweet spot to me, two hours flying with an hour reserve and can still take some small bags for a day trip or weekend.

Of course this does not account for all the crap airplanes always have on board, like tools, manuals, headsets, etc...

Looks like the weights are similar, Piper Sport and CTLSi. Funny when I think of weight it's in gallons available.

Well I guess my other fat friend will only get to fly in the pattern, with me, and I will have to lose another gallon in weight.

Again thanks for the input.

Tunny

I have an older CTLS (non injected), it has the older Dynon D100/120 glass and a 696 with 2 Axis autopilot. It comes in at 789lbs. It of course isn't decked out with the latest Skyview system which is amazing but it has a good setup and useful load. You can configure a new CTLS to fit your needs but may have to sacrifice some gadgets.

Thanks to all for responding to my request. It gives me a very good insight into the weight of a CTLSi.

Coppercity, the Pipersport, is configured the same as yours: Dynon D100/120 glass and a 696 with 2 Axis autopilot at 77 pounds higher in weight.

Thanks,

Tunny

Thanks to all for responding to my request. It gives me a very good insight into the weight of a CTLSi.

Coppercity, the Pipersport, is configured the same as yours: Dynon D100/120 glass and a 696 with 2 Axis autopilot at 77 pounds higher in weight.

Thanks,

Tunny

Does that include a BRS? All CTs are equipped with it, so the weights presented include BRS.

Archived