Drawback of using a tie-down in southern FL for several months

Brad

I am heading to south FL for the winter and having a difficult time finding a reasonably priced t-hangar for a short-term lease. My alternative, of course, is to use a tie-down. As someone who always garages my cars and hangars my plane, I'm interested in the drawbacks to using a tie-down for about 4 months (other than the obvious lack of storage space, etc.). Less obvious to me are the issues with leaving the plane in the hot sun and exposed to the elements. And, if I were to do that, what kind of protection or precautions would you recommend (plane cover and inlet covers, for example)? Or, is there anyone who would emphatically say no to using a tie-down? Thanks!

There are CT's in florida thta are never hangared. It will show wear years down the road faster, but for 4 months, not a big issue.

You can buy some canvas to cover the top of the plane if you are concerned about UV or anything like that, but it's a lot of work.

I see a lot of responses from people that are from dry climates. I asked the same question of FD and their concern was that with the humid and salt environment, I would be chasing corrosion on the grounding wires and the front rotation bearings. Also, the cabin is not water tight so the baggage area and floors will likely get wet. Sounds like it might be worth it in the long run to spring for the hangar. I highly appreciate all of your input, but is there any reaction to FD's comments? Thanks again!

I have seen aircraft left outside in FL and even ones in hangars. Bottom line I wouldn't think of leaving my CT outside in FL. or anywhere else for that matter. It wasn't designed with that in mind. 4 months out in Florida will age it years. There is a better than average chance you will have skin areas that become sunken, rust on all metal parts and possible wiring issues. Neuform props were designed to be hangared. Even Neuform said this because it will cause linear cracks in the blades. I have seen one from Fl. that this happened to and 2 others from different states. I have a prop from Fl. in the hangar next to me that was put OS because of these cracks. Your lights will haze over in four months and be trash.

If you are going to FL. find a hangar to share.

Remember to check your fuel for water every time you fly, rain or not, and after you fill from an airport tank, or someone else fills your plane. It is a part of preflight!

You might get some extra pitot covers or something similar and put them over the fuel vents (if it's a CTSW with the top vents) to help keep water out. Just don't forget to remove them on pre-flight.

I would get a cover from Bruce's, cover the prop blades, pitot and you should be fine. You may want to spray some of the grounding points in the engine compartment with one of the many protectant agents.

Our plane spent its early life 2006-2010, exposed to the elements in Florida and while there were corrosion issues on all the DB-9 interior connectors and the grounding points the exterior is perfect.

I am heading to south FL for the winter and having a difficult time finding a reasonably priced t-hangar for a short-term lease. My alternative, of course, is to use a tie-down. As someone who always garages my cars and hangars my plane, I'm interested in the drawbacks to using a tie-down for about 4 months (other than the obvious lack of storage space, etc.). Less obvious to me are the issues with leaving the plane in the hot sun and exposed to the elements. And, if I were to do that, what kind of protection or precautions would you recommend (plane cover and inlet covers, for example)? Or, is there anyone who would emphatically say no to using a tie-down? Thanks!

Boeshield on all exposed metal surfaces , especially the tail section.

Cheers

I personally don't think it would be a serious issue for 4 months in wintertime diedown. if it was the summer, i would be more concerned. N178CT, one of our CTs, was based in florida and tied down outside for a couple years. The metals showed a tiny coating of corrosion, but the entire plane is just fine.

The metal parts are really the only thing I would be a little concerned about, but even still a small coating of an oil or other protectant would be fine.

I personally don't think it would be a serious issue for 4 months in wintertime diedown. if it was the summer, i would be more concerned. N178CT, one of our CTs, was based in florida and tied down outside for a couple years. The metals showed a tiny coating of corrosion, but the entire plane is just fine.

The metal parts are really the only thing I would be a little concerned about, but even still a small coating of an oil or other protectant would be fine.

Our local FBO (Clearwater, FL) has outdoor "shaded" tiedowns. They are not complete hangars but have an overhead structure for protection from the sun and rain. According to a former CT owner, who kept his new CTLS airplane there for a little more than a year, they work out just fine. And the cost is much more reasonable than an enclosed T-hangar.

For a 4-month, winter stay, I think that would be perfect with a canopy cover.

I don't know how the CT compares, but both of my (previously owned) Grummans and my Sky Arrow will take on a LOT of water in a heavy rain if left unprotected.

My Tiger spent most of its life in a hangar, as does my Sky Arrow. But the Sky Arrow was left tied down on the ramp at Grand Strand when the remnants of a tropical storm passed, and it took about 20 minutes the next day before departing to mop up all the water that had settled in the belly in various locations and not drained.

Point is, the plane should be checked periodically for water ingress, especially with no cover in place. A cover would probably help immensely, but still not completely eliminate the need to check.

The CT has enough openings.and can take on water as some have found out. Drill out all the drain holes larger. Water in the wrong places (depending on the year of CT MFG) can cause foam collapse. Spend the extra money for a cover that does a good job. The prop is an absolute must to cover. Sun damage will kill it and has caused longitudinal cracks in Neuform props.

Archived