Garmin 696 Parts

Al Downs

Having a problem with my 696. The rotate function on the hat switch is not working. The toggle part of the switch is working fine but but the rotate function does not work. I tried searching the internet for parts but no luck. The entire GPS works fine except this one function. I believe it is a problem with the switch and I am capable of replacing it if I can find the part. Anybody know where I can find the part # and part?

I would assume one call to Garmin would get you the part number and/or the ability to send in for a repair. I guess the real question will be is it user serviceable (would depend on the user of course).

For aviation portables and panel mounts only:

Phone: (866) 739-5687 or (913) 397-8200

Fax: (913) 397-8282

Email: Product Support

https://fly.garmin.com/fly-garmin/support/warranty-information/

In warranty, out of warranty I'd start with a phone call.

Thanks for the information Adam

I can't say enough about the way I was treated by Garmin. My unit is out of warranty but they said they would fix it under warranty anyway. The only cost to me will be the shipping to them. The fellow I spoke to said he has seen my problem before so no charge. I will take 7-10 days to get it back but that is worth it to get it under warranty. He said more than likely they will just exchange it for another one. I really expected to have to pay. Great service.

There is a 696 with all accessories for sale on the Van's forums for $1100...I am tempted to replace my 496. Anybody know what it might cost to hard wire it and reconfigure my center panel for it? The panel also has a SL-40 com and GTX-327 Xpdr installed, so I'm not sure if the 696 will actually fit since it's so tall...

Sorry for the thread drift, I can start a new topic if needed.

Andy,

Don't know what fits in your CT but I'd suggest going with a G795 from Aircraft Spruce for $1700 and trading in your 496 with them for $850. This way you're on more current technology for a little better future proofing. There's also a robust used market for 496s.

My install in my Sting took 15 hrs of labor (795 + GDL39 + external antenna + panel work).

Andy,

When you put in new avionics you may want to have a local shop laser/water jet/cnc a new center section..16/18ga 304 or 440 stainless would match existing honeycomb structure the best.Just my opinion.

I think I may have a drawing of that in .dxf..I will send it to you via email when I get back home....

Andy,

When you put in new avionics you may want to have a local shop laser/water jet/cnc a new center section..16/18ga 304 or 440 stainless would match existing honeycomb structure the best.Just my opinion.

I think I may have a drawing of that in .dxf..I will send it to you via email when I get back home....

Thanks Chris, I figured I'd have to order a blank center panel from FD.

There is a 696 with all accessories for sale on the Van's forums for $1100...I am tempted to replace my 496. Anybody know what it might cost to hard wire it and reconfigure my center panel for it? The panel also has a SL-40 com and GTX-327 Xpdr installed, so I'm not sure if the 696 will actually fit since it's so tall...

Sorry for the thread drift, I can start a new topic if needed.

I did this to N531CT a few years ago. Here is the pic of what it looks like. I also upgraded the transponder to a GTX330 to get TIS Traffic. Don't order a blank panel from FD. It's not real aluminum. A new center stack in real aluminum (or stainless) needs to be built. There is not enough real estate for strength using the original material. Also, install an Airgizmo Dock so you can pop the 696 in and out for updates, programming of flight plans on the couch instead of the cockpit etc.

You will need a "no cost" approval from Flight Design. If you'd like a copy of the Modification/LOA submission and the reply I received from FDUSA to help you with the paperwork drop me an email. I was going to post it here but there is just too much info for general blind posting. Since I bought the 696 and the GTX 330 from the avionics shop that did the install, the actual install was reasonable. I sold the old 496 and GTX327 on ebay and recovered half the cost of the whole project.

post-124-0-43651600-1388691825_thumb.jpg

Archived