Take the dog along in CTSW

Acensor

Seriously looking at buying a very nice 2006 CTSW.

Would be Big upgrade from our much loved but clearly not in CT class Skyranger ELSA.

One attraction is possibility of being able to take along our 40 pound well behaved Portuguese Water Dog .

He loves to curl up in dark enclosed spaces and compartments. (Unlike other dogs in the car he'd rather curl up in to footwell of the front or back seat than look out the window. He's got the quirkiest, if charming, personality of any dog we've ever had.)

So the questions are...

Anybody ever carry a pet in the baggage section?

Any thought on trying that?

Anyone ever take a dog in the cockpit either flying solo or with passenger?

Considerations ..safety being one.

If you' ve flown with a dog , dig you give it era plugs? Earmuffs? Cotton in its ears?

Alex

If the dog decided to go exploring behind the baggage fabric bulkhead, you could get into an aft CG problem in a hurry.

I'd probably get one of the flip-up metal pedal block / footrests ( I have one, they are GREAT for passengers who don't pilot ), remove the passenger side stick, and put the dog in the footwell. If you are flying solo, put him in the seat and use one of the commercial dog car harnesses that attach to the seatbelt.

All of that said, I don't think you can know how a dog will react to flying until you try it...use abundant caution; a flailing, panicking animal in an airplane is dangerous business.

.......I'd probably get one of the flip-up metal pedal block / footrests ( I have one, they are GREAT for passengers who don't pilot ).....

All of that said, I don't think you can know how a dog will react to flying until you try it...use abundant caution; a flailing, panicking animal in an airplane is dangerous business.

Hi Andy,

And others,

Thanks for the thoughts, suggestions, and cautions.

By the way, Andy: Where does one get those footrests?

It goes without saying that this depends very much on how the dog reacts.

I have a buddy who has for years flown with two full sized 65+ pound sled dogs in back seat of his Piper Tripacer.

They love it and stay calm even in turbulance. Know another pilot of a Skyranger down under whose dog won't even let him takeoff if not taken along in the plane.

And this particular dog show every indication of being calm in a plane.

That said, whatever I do with him in any plane (be it in a dog crate, or whatever) I'd first just taxi him around and see how he handles it. Then micro-short flights, like once around the pattern and re-evaluate, etc.

Caution and forthought about what could go wrong (thus my inquiries here) is obviously required, but I can say, in addition to the two cases I have personal knowledge of, I've heard of many cases of pilots taking their dogs, but as far as I know not a single case in which a dog in the plane was found to be a cause or contributor factor to an accident.

After posting here I discovered there's a whole group of pilots familiar with the issues of flying pets in often small private aircraft -- providing, among other things, volunteer medivac services for pets. They have their own site: http://pilotsnpaws.org/

I'll check there and they'll probably have good info about risks and methods.But still appreciate the info here that's specific to the CT.

Alex

Archived