Ground adjustable prop?

Acensor

Looking at buying a very nice 2006 CTSW... Moving up from a Skyranger ELSA... For something more modern better cross country.

One liked feature on present 912 is its Ivo ground adjustable pitch prop. Can adjust in less than five minutes... And most of that time is removing the six philipshead screws that hold the spinner/ hub on.

Do any CTs have or approved for ground adjustable props?

I realize with the SW's broad parameters of good cruise and good short field with what I think is one standard fixed pitch prop adjustable might be low on wish lists.... But why not have your cake and eat it to?

Or "have your prop and tweak it too" ;-)

Alex

To consider...

...if the AMM for the plane specifies a certain prop pitch, I would say any deviation from that would have to be approved. And unless the AMM lists it as something an owner could perform, getting a mechanic to supervise and sign off on it would probably be a good idea as well.

In addition, changing prop pitch would change all of the performance charts.

My Sky Arrow specified 13.5º for its Warp Drive prop, and I did not touch it until I converted to Experimental. That left the door open to experiment, and 1º less did make a nice difference in takeoff and climb performance, giving me about 5,200 rpm instead of about 4,900 rpm, allowing utilization of more of the theoretical 100hp available.

All CT's I have seen in this country have ground adjustable props. However, I have not seen one with an Ivo prop.

Unless the one you are considering has been converted to E-LSA, make sure this is an original prop or that it has a FD LOA.

Thanks! Good to know.

Don't know how I got the impression fixed pitch was standard. Think I didn't see "adjustable pitch" listed on FD's site under a shot standard features list. Or missed it.

So how long DOEs it take and how much skill to adjust a CT stock prop?

(The Ivo can be adjusted by a trained chimp. Really ingenious.)

Alex

Thanks! Good to know.

Don't know how I got the impression fixed pitch was standard. Think I didn't see "adjustable pitch" listed on FD's site under a shot standard features list. Or missed it.

So how long DOEs it take and how much skill to adjust a CT stock prop?

(The Ivo can be adjusted by a trained chimp. Really ingenious.)

Alex

Roger Lee will tell you he can do it in 30 minutes or less. Do not debate this fact with him. It cost me dinner for two at Outback.

For us mere mortals who do this maybe once a year, an hour is more likely.

Also, unless E-LSA, an owner cannot legally do this work unless you hold LSRM-A or A&P ratings. Not much skill required but it helps to have been walked through it once and to have the right tools.

What about this Ivo prop anyone? I haven't heard of one on a US registered CT.

Archived