2 go down in a Remos

Roger Lee

18 miles north of me. It is the Remos dealer. He had two planes...

This is bad news.

2 injured in plane crash at Marana airport

Associated Press

Posted on August 28, 2010 at 11:31 PM

MARANA, Ariz. (AP) — Officials say two people suffered serious injuries Saturday morning after the plane they were flying in crashed at the Marana Northwest Regional Airport.

Capt. Adam Goldberg of the Northwest Fire/Rescue District says the 46-year-old flight instructor who was flying the single-engine Remos airplane suffered life-threatening injuries.

A 16-year-old girl who was onboard as an introductory flight for possible flying lessons also suffered serious injuries.

Goldberg says witnesses saw the plane take off, take a hard right, circle around, miss the runway and land in a field next to the runway.

Federal Aviation Administration Kathleen Bergen says the federal agency was investigating the crash.

'Thoughts/prays go out to those involved....Dang... I've seen him there, practicing, before... I hope we can learn the circumstances that lead to this... Weather doesn't seem to be a factor - we had bad thunderstorm activity around AZ today, but it was pretty nice down there in the early part of the day.

I always wonder what happened when a plane goes down around an airport... with bad results. Especially some place like Marana... Flat and LOTS of space, fields, taxiways, etc. Even without knowing the circumstances, you have to wonder about "the chute"....

Tim

I have flown the GX and as Roger says, there's very little transitioning going from a CT to the Remos. To me, the Remos is actually more conventional to land than my CTSW and I think probably closer to the CTLS when landing. I believe that the parachute is still offered as an option and not standard. I fear that someone may have folded the wings and then didn't insure that the aileron slip collars on the control rods were properly re-positioned after the wings were unfolded. If I ever checked anything, it was those items prior to fly the GX. Failure to do this is what caused the Remos crash which killed the passenger (a well known photographer) last year at Sebring. http://www.aopa.org/aircraft/articles/2009/090304remos.html

Did you see the pictures/video?? The passenger side wing is not attached... Did this happen before or after the crash???

Interesting..

But way to sad....Poor 16 year old girl and her mother...My prayers are with all involved.

Brian

i noticed the wing either not attached or folded back as well. combine that with the circling and landing near the runway makes me think the folding wings concept failed again.

That is terrible, thoughts and prayers to the instructor, student and families. I hope they both pull thru succesfully.

Based on the wreckage it was an very hard impact, the wing could have broken due to that. There was another accident this week involving a Thorp T-18 in Willcox about 60 miles east that killed two, it was strangly similar in they had aborted one approach then turned back to the runway for another attempt and appeared to stall and spin in.

Here's a video of the aircraft flying at marana. The aircraft pictured at the very first is NOT the aircraft that crashed, but the rest of the video is with N268RA (some still photos inside the video are a different Remos). This gives good idea of what the Marana area looks like...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwQy-ZkQ5nU

Tim

I have around 600+ hours in a remos, if you stall a remos you have never flown one! they say it stalled and for the life of me unless something went wrong with the plane i cant imagine how you could do this. Im very much aware how he could over shoot the runway as on my first flight i over shot a 4000' foot strip. after a hunderd hours or so i could have landed it on a ship. If the wing had folded back it would not have had the appearnce of a stall. My prayers sre with them also.

Most of them come equipped with a chute.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the prelim NTSB report on the Marana incident, looking like pilot error as of now.

NTSB Identification: WPR10FA435

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation

Accident occurred Saturday, August 28, 2010 in Tucson, AZ

Aircraft: REMOS AIRCRAFT GMBH REMOS G-3/600, registration: N268RA

Injuries: 1 Fatal, 1 Serious.

This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed.

On August 28, 2010, about 0822 mountain standard time, a Remos Aircraft GMBH, Remos G-3/600, N268RA, crashed on landing at the Marana Regional Airport, Tucson, Arizona. The airplane was owned and operated by Tucson Aeroservice Center, Inc., Tucson, and it was substantially damaged during the impact sequence. The commercial pilot held a certified flight instructor (CFI) certificate, and he was killed. The student pilot was seriously injured. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed at the time of the 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91 instructional flight, and no flight plan was filed. The flight originated from runway 03, about 0821.

The operator reported that the purpose of the flight was to provide a prospective flight student with an introduction to aviation. The 16-year-old student reported to the National Transportation Safety Board investigator that after the pilot performed a preflight inspection of the airplane, he assisted her in fastening her lap belt and dual strap shoulder harness. The CFI also provided the student with an explanation of the flight control system and instruments. Thereafter, the CFI started the engine and taxied for takeoff. This was the student's first ride in a light airplane.

The student recalled that the CFI spent between 1 and 2 minutes near the edge of the runway performing a pretakeoff check of the engine. Thereafter, the CFI increased engine power and the airplane took off on the runway. The student stated to the Safety Board investigator that she anticipated the flight would last about 1/2 hour.

The student further indicated that seconds after liftoff the pilot made a right turn. The student's mother, who was filming the "discovery flight," reported that the airplane flew over her location. She was standing on the tarmac near the operator's hangar.

A pilot-witness who was inbound for runway 12 heard the accident pilot transmit that he was taking off on runway 03, but would not interfere with traffic on runway 12. According to another pilot-witness who was departing from runway 12, which was predominantly the active runway, the local traffic pattern was fairly busy at the uncontrolled airport. This pilot-witness estimated that the accident airplane turned onto the crosswind leg about 200 feet above ground level, then remained at this altitude while flying on the downwind leg over the airport. The accident airplane initiated a 180-degree turn to land on runway 03 from a maximum altitude of 150 feet agl.

A helicopter pilot-witness on the ground thought that the accident airplane might be performing stunts for the benefit of the people filming the flight. She estimated that the airplane was about 50 to 75 feet agl when it banked steeply to the right and began to lose altitude. She reported that its wings were nearly perpendicular to the ground, and that the right wing impacted the ground first.

A commercial pilot-witness on the ground reported that the airplane crashed in a 45-degree bank attitude.

Several additional witnesses similarly reported observing the airplane following liftoff. The airplane commenced a right turn and entered the downwind leg while still over the airport. After flying a close-in downwind leg, the airplane made a circling descent onto the base and final approach legs while continuing in a right wing low attitude until impact.

The student stated to the Safety Board investigator that she recalled the pilot banked the airplane steeply right, the wing was nearly perpendicular to the ground, and it "did not look right."

The airplane came to rest in an upright attitude. It stopped approximately 70 feet south-southwest of the airport's windsock for runway 03. This location was about 70 feet west of the runway's left side, in a level dirt field, and nearly abeam runway 03's threshold. There was no fire.

The preliminary on-scene examination of the airplane and engine was performed by the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) coordinator. The FAA coordinator reported that no evidence of preimpact flight control anomalies were found. No evidence of inadequate fuel for flight was found.

The airplane has been recovered from the accident site. A detailed examination of the airframe, engine, and instruments is pending.

Index for Aug2010 | Index of months

Archived