Has NASA lost its way?

Ed Cesnalis

• Replies 469
  • Created
  • Last Reply

89d.gif

Andy,

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, where is your head?  This is not beating a dead cow it is brand new info from NASA.  Global warming is now preventing sea-level rise, shocking as well.

NASA is also in the news this week because it is being sued for censoring its employees.  Their long standing Christian organization, open to all has been told by NASA that it is unconstitutional for them to use the name 'Jesus' in their Emails.  Not only has this been a problem for Jesus Ortega and others with similar names it does make you question how NASA's mandate can be about Muslim outreach but its unconstitutional to say 'Jesus'

When I ask has NASA lost its way I do mean it has become political.  Can't we get back to the earlier mandate and drop the politics?  Can't we at least ask the question without fighting left vs right?

Andy,

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, where is your head?  This is not beating a dead cow it is brand new info from NASA.  Global warming is now preventing sea-level rise, shocking as well.

NASA is also in the news this week because it is being sued for censoring its employees.  Their long standing Christian organization, open to all has been told by NASA that it is unconstitutional for them to use the name 'Jesus' in their Emails.  Not only has this been a problem for Jesus Ortega and others with similar names it does make you question how NASA's mandate can be about Muslim outreach but its unconstitutional to say 'Jesus'

When I ask has NASA lost its way I do mean it has become political.  Can't we get back to the earlier mandate and drop the politics?  Can't we at least ask the question without fighting left vs right?

It does not matter which party ! But the political correctness, in our society, is stunning as of late.

Cheers

• 4 months later...

There would have to be a quantum leap in battery technology, for any electric aircraft to serve any other purpose than short recreational flights. And at this time only experimental. Charge downtime and weight being severe limiting factors.

Cheers

The press is making a big deal out of both the NASA prototype and the solar plane that is flying around the world.  They are curiosities, but not practical for mainline GA or commercial service. 

A Chinese drone/helo is large enough to carry people on short hops across a city - electric (hands free).   http://time.com/4171329/drone-helicopter-ehang-184-ces/

Pipistrel is making an all electric and a hybrid part gas/electric plane.  So there is some effort to get lower emissions aircraft in the air....but until battery tech takes a quantum leap (so far only micro electronics in motors has leaped) then like electric cars, both range and cold weather will limit both devices.

Side note, I always thought there was hypocrisy in aviation when it comes to 100LL and emissions.  It's why I didn't burn 100LL in my CT.  But I am forced to burn it in my Cirrus so I am a hypocrite now too.

I believe we're more likely to see hydrogen cells replacing petrol before solar/battery in large aviation. Even the best batteries are 20x less energy dense than petrol, and we can't unload the weight by putting less charge in!

Or we'll figure out a better way to make biodiesel.

Ultracapacitors still don't have the energy density (storage capacity) of batteries... Actually still quite a ways off. They have a great power density though, which affects how quickly they can store and release the charge.

The COST, however, is no contest. Gas is far,far, far cheaper.

Ultracapacitors still don't have the energy density (storage capacity) of batteries... Actually still quite a ways off. They have a great power density though, which affects how quickly they can store and release the charge.

The COST, however, is no contest. Gas is far,far, far cheaper.

There was supposed to be a breakthrough using carbon nanotubes a while back, but I have not heard anything for a number of months, other than a chat I had with a couple of guys at an AOPA fly-in who claimed to be working on it for aviation use.

Michael Mann, scientist: Data ‘increasingly unnecessary’ because ‘we can see climate change’

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/jun/27/michael-mann-climate-scientist-data-increasingly-u/

Its hard to argue when they take 'science' out of the discussion.  

Now we reach a full level of absurdity.  They KNOW they don't have the data but rather than admit defeat they insist on making bigger horses-asses of themselves by asserting they can now 'feel' the problem.

When I was a kid "acid rain" was going to kill us.

Then it was the "ozone hole".  Somehow that hole just went away one day.

Now "global warming", umm "climate change" is going to finish us off.

The solution is always the same to every crisis:  Give the government more money and control.  

Why isn't the solution ever less government?

You actually don't know why acid rain and the ozone layer improved (the hole has improved but is still there)?

Have you heard of any warnings for serious air pollution in LA lately? How about the pollution in Lake Erie? Or, Love Canal type situations?

To make broad statements there is a need to not only be aware of the changes, but the factors that have brought about those changes.

First our 'chicken little' government identifies a fictitious problem and it becomes more powerful in order to solve it.

Last the govt takes credit for solving the problem when it is not longer a threat in their opinion.

In realiity nothing has changed in regards to the fictitious threat.

You actually don't know why acid rain and the ozone layer improved (the hole has improved but is still there)?

Have you heard of any warnings for serious air pollution in LA lately? How about the pollution in Lake Erie? Or, Love Canal type situations?

To make broad statements there is a need to not only be aware of the changes, but the factors that have brought about those changes.

The ozone hole is smaller and no one knows why, remember, the green alarmists daily claim the CO2 levels are higher than ever.

LA's pollution is still there, it comes from pollution from China and natural phenom from the desert and the valley inversions...same with other California cities.  Can you stop China from polluting?  No.

Superfund cleanup money comes from corp America....this is not the same as demanding taxpayers pay through govt force  the billions lost to goofs doing fake global warming studies.

It's a false reach to assert the extreme green movement today demanding outrageous changes in the overall economy due to no data is justified because some cleanup was once necessary after the industrial revolution. 

Archived